Which Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx for all the great info Fellas. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to a pedestal type stove like Hittinsteels, compared to a leg model?

The P has the ash box which is great for cleaning. Not sure the leg model has it. I like the look of the legs but the P is more practical IMHO

go with an englander NC13 ,best bang for the buck and really puts out the heat efficently

Anyone who (1) owns a Stihl MS 361 (2) heats his whole house with wood, and (3) lives in Nebraska while doing it is my friend for life.
:givebeer:

How about owns 361 heats house with only FREE wood and Lives in Connecticut?

Not sure what you mean by coaling. Certainly had a lot of coals at the end of a burn cycle, but that's a good thing, especially in the morning after an overnight burn

I was building up so many coals, I couldn't add more wood. We would then freeze by the time the coals would burn down. I was amazed at how little heat the coals produced. I have a feeling it was from non-seasoned wood. It was all cut, split & stacked last May/June. This was in an open on three sides leanto against my garage. The wood was stacked 8' high x 8' deep x 18' long. Just not enough air flow. Even now I get a lot of pieces with water spitting out. Mostly ash, maple & locust.

With my old Russo, through all the years, I never had this problem before.

Al

We have a Regency F2400 that use for 95%+ of our heat for 3 years so far, 3 cords a year. Just the plain jane one with legs, no ash drawer, blower, etc. It does the job for our 1100 sqft 1.5 story house. We've had parts of the top dull red a couple times and no warpage problems.
It fits an 18" stick but I cut all my firewood to around 15" or a little less, makes loading it less of a puzzle. One size bigger would be nice for longer burn times but on the other hand we get almost no creosote out of chimney when I clean it once a year.
It has a lifetime warranty too which could come in handy down the road, we might be using stove 40 years from now:dizzy:

I was building up so many coals, I couldn't add more wood. We would then freeze by the time the coals would burn down. I was amazed at how little heat the coals produced. I have a feeling it was from non-seasoned wood. It was all cut, split & stacked last May/June. This was in an open on three sides leanto against my garage. The wood was stacked 8' high x 8' deep x 18' long. Just not enough air flow. Even now I get a lot of pieces with water spitting out. Mostly ash, maple & locust.

Al

I don't think the coaling issue is specific to one brand of stove as all wood goes through the burn cycle. The coaling stage will certainly produce less heat than when there are flames, which will result in house temp fluctuation. In the really cold weather, once the wood had been reduced to coals we would open the air draft all the way which would burn off the coals more quickly and allow for a reload. As you've mentioned, your unseasoned wood may be part of the problem also. Hopefully you have some better seasoned wood for this winter and can do a comparison.

Al

We get a build-up of coals after burning with the draft closed too much while trying to extend the burn time. Comes a time we have to shovel the coals out to make room for more wood or you can't get a hot enough fire to heat you up.

We bought a Napoleon 1900 last fall and we love it! We heat 2000 square feet of a cabin style home with a full basement. We had wonderful burn times with it and we put about 4 cords through it and would buy another one if I were to do it again.

The burn times were amazing. The stove will go for 12 hours using a mix of oak, ash, cherry. It leaves a nice bed of coals that will quickly fire up a fresh load and will be good to go for another 12. I highly recommend buying a 1900!

There is a bunch of nice stoves on the market, just depends on what you want to spend $$$$$. I recently bought a Englander 30NC at Home Depot. Waited till the end of the winter when they were putting out the summer stuff and clearing out the wood stoves. Got it for just over $700 bucks, was selling for $1500.00 in the fall. It's rated for 2200 sq ft and gets good reviews from folks on ArboristSite.

I have a chance to buy a slightly used Englander, my neighbor has a moving company and aquired one in a move. I am just waiting for him to see if it has a tag on it. It is 2 years old and has and 3 or 4 fires in it total, so it might be an option.

I have a chance to buy a slightly used Englander, my neighbor has a moving company and aquired one in a move. I am just waiting for him to see if it has a tag on it. It is 2 years old and has and 3 or 4 fires in it total, so it might be an option.

If it is the right size and a good price, that is a no brainer......grab the Englander. I have never heard a bad thing about them.

This was my first year burning, I went with the napoleon 1400 leg model. It performed great, kept 1600 sq. ft. home with 2x4 walls low to mid 70's without really crankin it until it really got frigid, then I had the stove top thermometer reading closer to 600 deg. range and we were still very comfortable. Had I done more research I might have considered the nc30, same bang less buck. Although I think the napoleon had closer clearances to combustibles which was a must for me anyways. We are still burning on 3 1/3cord of wood.

If it is the right size and a good price, that is a no brainer......grab the Englander. I have never heard a bad thing about them.

All depends on if it has a "tag". The insurance companies are getting crazy about wood stoves, maybe just a Canadian thing. As I said earlier everything in the new place was perfect (install), except the stove didn't have a tag (from what I gather nothing more that a couple years old does). I have to have the stove removed within in two weeks of taking possesion, photograph it gone, then reinstall new stove and photograph that for the insurance company.

I'm prolly paranoid, but it seems the insurance company / power company / government, don't want anyone heating there place for FREE. They all come up with some BS reason to stop or limit wood burning.

fine then.

I'm prolly paranoid, but it seems the insurance company / power company / government, don't want anyone heating there place for FREE. They all come up with some BS reason to stop or limit wood burning.

split your utilities 3 ways and send each one a portion to pay.don't bend over for them,that's how we got where we are today as a country.

I have a Pacific Energy Vista insert and it's great. Didn't turn the heat on all winter, and we had a long cold one up here. Bought the smaller unit, initially thought we would only supplement our heating, but even with a 2,600 sf house the stove performed outstandingly well.

Did research on many manufacturers, then spoke to a 5th generation chimney sweep. He said Pacific Energy really stands behind their product, plus the unit is very easy to maintain. No hard to get to areas to clean. If I had to do it again knowing that I can heat the entire house, I would have built out my hearth and installed a larger unit (Summit) with a larger fire box for longer burn times.

Last edited:
Hey Wood Doctor, (1) MS361, (2) Heats house entirely with wood, (3) Michigan...2 out of 3 close enough?:)

Latest posts

Back