Which tool to cut sunflower stalks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16:1mix

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
With winter approaching it is time to cut the stalks of my annual crop of sunflowers that grow voluntarily each year. I had to give careful selection to the cutting tool, my choices were:

1 hand operated pruning saw
2 hacksaw
3 lopping shears
4 chainsaw
5 lawnmower
6 thermonuclear device

Which tool did I pick?

Hell yes....the chainsaw!:greenchainsaw:
What would you have picked?

Of course that was all I needed to get excited about cutting wood again but that'll have to wait for awhile, but hey....I got to HEAR it!
:clap:

Last edited:
Hmm,that's a tough call.In parts of the world they call the proper tool a machete .Here on the other side of the corn belt we called it a corn knife.

Then on the other hand I suppose some tough ones may call for more extreme measures.

I did use a Poulan s-25 once to gnaw down some castor plants.Tough old buzzards.It took a Ferguson TO-20 to extract the roots.

Why couldn't you just push them up in a pile with a bulldozer?
Seems the easiest to me...

In Illinois they are considered a weed and controlled with Roundup early. They are not noxious so the county will not get after you but the neighbors will.

Bill

In Illinois they are considered a weed and controlled with Roundup early. They are not noxious so the county will not get after you but the neighbors will.

Bill

LOL!

I planted these in my yard in town for birds to eat off of. Also draws bees but that is no problem, we have a truce! Actually I planted them once and they reseed themselves every year so I could easily see that they could become a weed but they are limited to the space that I allow them, probably no more than 20 are growing any year.

The stalk they grow always amazes me, like a tree on a smaller scale!

Later!

I am very disappointed in this post...:buttkick:

There was a perfect opportunity to justify spend big $$$ on a brush cutter or clearing saw :biggrinbounce2:

Well,sunflower eating goats could be an option.They could devour the residual and fertilize at the same time.How can you beat a deal like that?

Ya have to watch the male goats though.Those nasty guys pee in their whiskers and butt you in the posterier if your back is turned.Oh no,mean and smelly all in one package,egads.

Back