Which & Why? MS260 vs 51002 vs 346XP vs NE 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose and why?

• Total voters
I bought it brand new from Spike this summer. I had a Dolmar bar on it but I thought it might break the camera with a Dolmar bar on a Jonsered.

Steve

Well spill the beans, how ya like it and remember Steve is watching,LOL

Well spill the beans, how ya like it and remember Steve is watching,LOL

They're close in power but the 5100 seemed smoother in the cut. I wanted to make some video's side by side with a 5100 but I never made it that far.

But today the big brown truck took it away from me.:( Had to sell it to pay for my Kms4AD.

Where's the Redmax 5000 vote?

Anybody interested in my Redmax 5000? Only had two tanks of gas through it. The bar was used when I put it on.

attachment.php

They're close in power but the 5100 seemed smoother in the cut. I wanted to make some video's side by side with a 5100 but I never made it that far.

But today the big brown truck took it away from me.:( Had to sell it to pay for my Kms4AD.

Speaking of??
:)

I ran about 1 tank through the 5100 BUCKing the other day. As always, ran fine. Sat it down and grabbed the ne346. I know they are close in weight according to scales but when i picked it up, it felt like half the weight of the 5100. I like both but prefer the 346.

i used the 346xp this past weekend in some locust. feels like a light saber, reminds me of my husky 350 to much though. hmm i just got a extra 350 the other day needs a p/c. maybe i'll put a 346 p/c on it and see how much abuse the bottom end can take. that way i'll have the performance of a 346xp in the form of a 350. haha perfect sleeper saw.:chainsaw:

260 here. Because it's a Stihl. Dealer support and resale (LOL... as if i'd ever sell it!).

+1, the stihl 026 and every other Stihl I've owned has earned its trustworthy reputation with me. I haven't owned a trustworthy Husky yet. They're batting 0 for 2 so far in my playing field. I'm starting to look at them on ebay again, buying 1 is kinda scary to me. I have a pretty reasonable amount of time on 2 differant early edition 346's. 2 differant tree trimmers. 1 has been very reliable and the other was short lived. The reliable one sucked my drawstring from my coat into the flywheel cover and broke some fins and some plastic in the cover but it was fixed with some used parts and is still going (about 5 years of intermittent tree service work). I don't remember running an 026 simutanous to the 346. The early 346 may have a little more power and speed but I haven't noticed. Actually I had 1 o26 pro I opened the muffler on I thought felt more powerful . The 1 I am now running doesn't feel that good but I can't fine tune the carb with only a low adjustment. 346 is smoother, but vibration hasn't been a problem with my 026's. Air cleaner on the o26 -260's clogs to quick but it doesn't take that long to keep it maintained . Its been worth doing for the service the saws done for me.
I am interested in the 5100 , but is the reliability better or not then the 346.

If I had to have one it would be the 2153, but finding out about the outboard clutch has put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for it.

Time to wait until 2010 and see if things improve...

It doesn't matter on a saw that size, unless you plan on using it as an alround saw, and change rim size often. :)

....and it is done right, so it contributes to the nimbleness and superb handling of that saw in the woods. :clap: :clap:

i used the 346xp this past weekend in some locust. feels like a light saber, reminds me of my husky 350 to much though. hmm i just got a extra 350 the other day needs a p/c. maybe i'll put a 346 p/c on it and see how much abuse the bottom end can take. that way i'll have the performance of a 346xp in the form of a 350. haha perfect sleeper saw.:chainsaw:

I am anxiously waiting for the results! :givebeer:

Just a little bored here. I know this has been discussed before, but I obviously have new found interest here. Please only comment on the saws you've run. Which would you buy today and why? What do you like about each? What do you dislike about each?

We currently own, run, and maintain all of the above. I choose the NE346XP because after running the various models I've found the Huskys are out performing the rest of the saws in your poll and also are holding up better to the harsh use of the Utility co. in which I'm employed. These saws are used hard and I see that the Dolmar 5100s is not taking the beating that the Husky and Stihls saws are. That said I would like to add that the Dolmar 7900 saws are holding up very well, I know we werent talking about that model.
I also like working on the Huskys as far as maintenance is concerned it is as easy to service and maintain as the Stihl saws are.

Well that was my .02 don't mind my spelling errors, :) :cheers:

Back