white oak burl..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post this in the carving forum. It has to be valuble to someone.

It depends on what caused the burling. Some are cankers, some are stubs.

The real question you have is, is it worth more then the cost of getting it out of the woods. Probably not, like all wood, what is worked is value added. It needs to be cut and dried first. Burl wood needs to be cut thick and dried for a long time, because it moves real funky.

Now if you know a veneer shop, and it opens up with mostly grain and little inclusion, then it would be worth the cost of harvest. Bowl turners are notoriously cheap, you need to find a production turner who can turn-out high end stuff to make any money off of wood.

Bowl turners are notoriously cheap, you need to find a production turner who can turn-out high end stuff to make any money off of wood.
Yup; i set interesting hunks aside and get $50 for asmall trailerload, and a nice piece turned now and then.

Yup; i set interesting hunks aside and get $50 for asmall trailerload, and a nice piece turned now and then.

Any pics. of the pieces, something is causing you to keep the trade route open.

Are you cutting the burl or setting aside that section of tree with the burl?

I carve my own cigar holders out of allepo pine.

Keeps my fingers from turning yellow with nicotine.

There's a commercial high end wood carving outfit in San Francisco somewhere that really turns out some fantastic desk tops and swank furniture with wood from local tree outfits.

Can't remember their name though.

jomoco

Are you cutting the burl or setting aside that section of tree with the burl?

I usually try to keep the chunk whole, often there is figured wood in the log too. Though for the most part I have only turned my own stuff. I talked to one production turner and he wanted wood that was fresh cut, right away and as cheap as possible. Firewood pays better.

We took a large walnut down a couple of years ago that had a large burl with an odd bend to the trunk. I left the burl and about 5 feet of trunk intact. The homeowner had friends that make gunstocks, and thats what it was used for. i ended up getting 5 or 6 more jobs off of that.

Back