White Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut up a bunch of Dead dry white oak today, man that stuff is some stringy wood to split, im am here to tell ya if you dont have a splitter it would be a B---h to split it by hand if you could even do it. But it burns great! The tree was 30in across so it was a good score today.

I cut up a bunch of Dead dry white oak today, man that stuff is some stringy wood to split, im am here to tell ya if you dont have a splitter it would be a B---h to split it by hand if you could even do it. But it burns great! The tree was 30in across so it was a good score today.

its not too bad, would rather hand split it than american elm.

Straight grained white oak is just about the easiest hardwood I've ever split. Right up there with ash or red oak.

Well this was anything but stright grained, i think the whole tree was a knot, i have split alot of white oak and it just seemed alot tougher today, i fought and pulled at it all day.

i love white oak burns great. had a neighbor take some down last year and gave it to me. bout two cord.

Went out today to find a large cherry I was told about laying in a fence line. Blocked it up then thought to myself if im going to bring my ton truck back here I might as well get a full load. So looking around the field I found a large oak. I believe its a white oak but didnt wade through the weeds to check closer. I'll get a picture or two tomorrow...looks like its been down at least a year maybe two. I'm not real good with oak ID when leaves are missing. Did notice there were hickory red and white oak types around this tree.

Monster Maul + Wedges + Wood Grenade + Hatchet will get white oak split easily. Or not so easily, but it will get the job done and is a great workout to boot.

I went rounds with some Honey locust earlier today, that stuff would not cooperate!

White oak, at least the bur oak we have around here, splits best when it is frozen. I bet I split a half cord in a short morning once when it was frozen. It just popped right apart.

Now with a 30 ton splitter, it doesn't matter. Almost every thing goes through 4 ways.

I did some honeylocust a couple weeks ago. Most of it had been cut 2 years ago. It didnt' split too bad but most things dont' split too bad any more even elms. I honestly can't recall if I have tried splitting honeylocust by hand. I'll have to try some this winter.

Don

Back