White Pine Siding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone here ever use white pine for siding? I have a lot of standing dead white pine on my land and have been thinking about using it as siding for my workshop. It mills nice and it is free. Any thoughts on how it will hold up in the weather after it is treated? Any thoughts on treatment materials?

I have some ponderosa pine I've been considering doing the same thing with, problem is that I also have a few large downed cedars that would be far superior, so I'll do them first. As for the ponderosa, I figured I'd just mill it 1" thick and as wide as possible, season it, nail it on, then paint it, so long as you don't have earth contact it should last a good long while.

Last edited:
Down here in South east Pa alot of barns (amish farms) are all white pine siding. Most people seem to piant it but a few are stained and seem to hold up real nice. I've seen some left natural and weather to a light grey color.I would just make sure to keep the bottom off the ground and put gutters on so you avoid ground splash back. Good luck

lots of white pine siding around here. a friend of mine milled alot when he was younger (hes 87 now) and built several barns exclusivly out of white pine. they're doing great, some are over fifty years old, with no paint or treatment. i would reccommend it if you have plenty. some of his boards are insanely wide. i measured one at 25". very, very easy wood to work with also. i milled some not long ago and then milled some oak right after. thought id gone to milling hell when it came to handleing the oak after the pine.

I am definitely going to do it. I'll post picks when I am done. It might be a month or two as I work alone. I can't wait 'till the boy is old enough to help. That might also be a while because he is only 10 months old right now!

I started my boy off running the tractor when he was that age, he is now ten and is the second best tractor operator in the family. Teach him right and he will have you pulling lumber for him in no time.:cheers:

I got ahold of some of the experimental BMK pine, back in the 70’s it was thought to be the new timber. Then half the fast growing trees started dying off before maturity and the other half mutated into non-lumber trees, anyway I used it for siding on my shop and it has held up good so far with no finish on it. I like the gray look that it is starting to develop.

Back