Who collects vintage saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A good neighbor just handed me a nice, almost like new Stihl 015 AVE. If there's any interest, I'll take pics and list it. Thought I would mention it here first, though.

Old timers will remember me from the good old days. I know that I joined AS in 2001, so within a year of its inception, methinx.

A good neighbor just handed me a nice, almost like new Stihl 015 AVE. If there's any interest, I'll take pics and list it. Thought I would mention it here first, though.

Old timers will remember me from the good old days. I know that I joined AS in 2001, so within a year of its inception, methinx.
Wow!!! It has been a long time since I have seen you post. Maybe I just have not seen them. Nice to see you again and I see your avatar has not changed.

Bill

I'm retired from tree work, Bill. 46 years was enough!! As the years progressed, I posted more on a few other boards, and then facebook. Maybe, I'll post some pics and/ or videos in the appropriate place. I am a half arsed good shooter, ya know!!

Fueled it, primed the carb and it started right up. It was empty, so the carb and other lines might be OK. Carb does respond to adjustment, but it seems to be four cycling too much. Can't seem to get it to lean out.

Attachments

• Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1764_2.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1764_2.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1765_2.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1765_2.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 0
  • Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1766_2.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1766_2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 0
  • Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1768_2.jpg
    Canon EOS R5 - 3D4A1768_2.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 0
Fueled it, primed the carb and it started right up. It was empty, so the carb and other lines might be OK. Carb does respond to adjustment, but it seems to be four cycling too much. Can't seem to get it to lean out.
I have a couple of them, one with points and one electronic ignition. Nice power for a little saw. Your's looks like a later model with electronic ignition.

I'm retired from tree work, Bill. 46 years was enough!! As the years progressed, I posted more on a few other boards, and then facebook. Maybe, I'll post some pics and/ or videos in the appropriate place. I am a half arsed good shooter, ya know!!
Well I will say this with 100% respect you were one of the many members taht made this site what is was. Back then it was about folks helping folks with yes some razzing but mostly all true respect. I asked a question years ago about the tree industry and you came back with a well thought out, respectful, and on topic reply that I still remember today.

On a side note do you remember ole masterblaster? I wonder how he is doing these days.

Well I will say this with 100% respect you were one of the many members taht made this site what is was. Back then it was about folks helping folks with yes some razzing but mostly all true respect. I asked a question years ago about the tree industry and you came back with a well thought out, respectful, and on topic reply that I still remember today.

On a side note do you remember ole masterblaster? I wonder how he is doing these days.
The TH is alive, but sadly, Butch Ballowe died a few years ago.. maybe about three... cancer it was. The way he was treated here was sad.

We had a blast... gypologger.. the Rupley brothers, Dennis Greffard... and so many more. I dunno if my images from the 2002 and 2003 Clearwater Revivals are still up... Pics aren't on my flickr, but 88 images from the 2008 Deming Log Show are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/albums/72157605624133618 Don't forget the high tech redneck Doug Babcock, Rotax Robert.... Tommy Fales...and so many more. The time Robert fired up the Predator in that bar/restaurant in Clearwawa was freakin' awesome!!

We had a blast... gypologger.. the Rupley brothers, Dennis Greffard... and so many more. I dunno if my images from the 2002 and 2003 Clearwater Revivals are still up... Pics aren't on my flickr, but 88 images from the 2008 Deming Log Show are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/albums/72157605624133618 Don't forget the high tech redneck Doug Babcock, Rotax Robert.... Tommy Fales...and so many more. The time Robert fired up the Predator in that bar/restaurant in Clearwawa was freakin' awesome!!
The Rupley brothers have some pretty nice saws, I got to hang out with them at a mutual friend's place as part of a mini gtg. Fast saws, nice guys, good food, but sadly no ear muffs. One of the pipe saws damn near made my ears bleed!

I ran their piped 090 at Clearwater. And put Rotax Robert's race chain w/24" bar on my Greffardized 3120. It was.... fast! That was 2002. The saw is still going. I'll prolly sell it at some time. It can be seen in action in this vid. which made David Stice and myself better known..... Sorry, but vid quality back then was really poor..

You daymum right it was a blast ole gypologger ( John) is who got me to the site. The pics of him butt naked running a saw were out there. So where his pics of "saw wench" I converse with Mike Rupley quite often. As you know Dennis Greffard had a rough thread on here for whatever reasons that are none of my business. Dbabcock is a name I remember now that you mention him. Of course ole Rotax Robert was a great poster. I rember Tommy Fales but did not deal with him. I still remember the night my phone rang and when I picked it up the voice said ..."Hey Bill this is Art Martin, how ya doing". There were so many great characters back then. Django was a top notch fabricator. Dan Henry built a mean Husky 346. Sedaman was a great guy. Og course we cannot forget Dennis Cahoon. The list is very long. I am not complaining about the site now but there was a ton of great, honest, real life experiences shared back then that has sadly now given way to well.....I better not say.

Just tonight ( well now last night) I worked a 60"DBH Oak cleanup that did not go well. I work alone and had multiple issues. The final one caused me to walk about 3.5 miles home well after dark. Now I have equipment stranded and not sure how I will shuttle it home. Years back if I told the story I would get some razzing but today I would be called every name in the book

Bill

Mike, Dennis, Bob, Roger, Jon, John and me at Clearwater 21 years ago.

Attachments

• Dsc_6492_em.jpg
    Dsc_6492_em.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
Back