who cuts the most

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Does anyone know who the biggest timber harvesting companies are? I guess there may be different companies for saw logs, pulp and veneer, but maybe not...

I couldn't come up with the right search terms. I'd get 10's of thousands of hits, but the links would be stuff like the 1996 pulpwood output in Kentucky. I was wondering which companies, world-wide, cut the most timber, but never got the answer. Of course, I could just keep trying new searches, but I figured someone on the logging forum would know about a more comprehensive site (or publication).

Just busting your stones Bob. I was amused that you have asked a lot of "the biggest" or "the most" questions lately.

Are we feeling small in this big bad world?:p

Yeah, you're right Newfie! I didn't realize that. I'd like to think it's a coincidence, but maybe there is some sort of underlying psychosis that I'm unaware of. In any event, I've always been fascinated by devices used to handle timber. Whether a 20 foot crosscut saw used by old timers for logging the redwoods or the new whole tree harvesters/forwarders, I think all the stuff is just really cool.

Gee, I think Mike and I are getting up there in Massachusetts tree murders. ;)

Logging companies

Georgia Pacific used to be huge in this province. My dad used to contract for them. But a few years back they sold all their land to the NeBrunswick Government and pulled out. Irving is really big in the forest Industry as well.:p they have big plantations and a mill up in the DeersDale District. Im pretty sur ethey own a lot of Timberland in the states. If not that but Timber leases

Can you get some pictures of the equipment they use when harvesting?

Irving pretty cuts in New Brunswick, the had a mill in Prince Edward Island (not sure if its still owned by Irving or still open) Nova Scotia, Quebec adn Maine. When Georgia Pacific left New Brunswick they did not leave much...why stick around and have to manage the land after you have taken what you want.

The equipment basically used is feller bunchers and grapple skidders in larger wood and a single or double grip harvester and forwarder in the commercial thinning of plantations. Deersdale has a few more million trees in the ground since the spring.

Georgia pacific

The company actually left a lot of good forested land. Sur emost of it had been cut over. But there are still plenty of cutable arears left. The newbrunsick Goverenment leased that ground to companies such as Vally Forest. When the government first got a hold of it they clear cutted a few areas. They still mostly do now, they leave some trees, but they are like bushes. Gorgia Paciic mostly select cutted

Back