Who flips/extends the arm on their bucket all the way over/horizontal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not following you......I raise my upper boom up (knuckle is in the back) and over 180 degrees...I then raise my lower boom about a foot and then I spin the whole boom to either side and all the way to the front of my truck......I just have one set of outriggers.....I think this is what you are saying but not sure.....
You flip your upper outta the cradle and over the back of the truck . Then your boom is completely parallel with the ground , then to the right or left corners of the truck to the center of your outriggers . I was told by the altec guy that my type of truck can flip sideways because the front of the truck lacks enough counterweight . Basically the truck would flip towards the back corners . And I believe it my truck no matter how I've tried to set it up it does not like that position at all so I stay close to the ground if I feel the need to do that motion

You flip your upper outta the cradle and over the back of the truck . Then your boom is completely parallel with the ground , then to the right or left corners of the truck to the center of your outriggers . I was told by the altec guy that my type of truck can flip sideways because the front of the truck lacks enough counterweight . Basically the truck would flip towards the back corners . And I believe it my truck no matter how I've tried to set it up it does not like that position at all so I stay close to the ground if I feel the need to do that motion
I remember when the guy brought me my truck he did exactly what I would if say I had to go under a telephone wire and then up with the boom to cut it. I bought it brand new and if I do it again....I will buy a rear mount and put 4 outriggers on it.
This is not to say we do this everyday but we do it on a pretty regular basis. You have given me something to think about for sure. I d

I remember when the guy brought me my truck he did exactly what I would if say I had to go under a telephone wire and then up with the boom to cut it. I bought it brand new and if I do it again....I will buy a rear mount and put 4 outriggers on it.
This is not to say we do this everyday but we do it on a pretty regular basis. You have given me something to think about for sure. I d
Ever really look at the float you have with the front end ? And even the twisting that the frame does ? At that point you have 55' of boom hanging solely on your ubolts

Ever really look at the float you have with the front end ? And even the twisting that the frame does ? At that point you have 55' of boom hanging solely on your ubolts
it goes through inspection annually and the guys should be doing there daily inspections. I have never noted any issues...but I definitely know what you mean. I am not doing anything different than more experienced operators, from what I have seen. Not that I trust it, but if something were very dangerous, you would think there would be a sticker or sign off from manufacturer. Are you speaking from your personal opinion or where you have read such claims from manufacturer. I pulled the file on the truck and I do not see anything where they are flagging this issue.

I dunno what that last post came from .... Let me try it again , I an convo with the altec tech he told me that they have been known to tip in that position . I had my truck in for service that's all

If you are not comfortable doing anything at our job dont do it especially if your trying somthing you have not done before and you do not have anyone who has done it there to teach you how. We call it long booming and yes we line clearance guys do it all the time

My only problem is once you go over center up is down and down is up... drives me crazy sometimes

I do it all the time in a 75' Altec center mount with only two outriggers. Just make sure the outriggers are on some good pads and solid ground.

I, for the first time ever, had my out rigger come off the ground yesterday about a inch. I felt it. I was flat off the right side, fully extended and moving real slow and smooth. Had the boy look at the left side and watch as I continued, I look back and seen him turn white as a ghost and look up at me with dish sized eyes. It did not feel good, so I didnt press my luck. I checked everything, set up was solid, but ground was wet. So I laid plywood under the pads to make sure I didnt dig in. The only thing I can think of is it slipped on the wet wood as I moved, with the weight all on one side and maxed out. Truck was empty and had no chipper on it. Son said it "hopped" when it did it. Just a little, but when maxed out, it felt like a foot. Truck was level, all tires on ground and I had good pressure on the outriggers. Was watching right side outrigger for any type of collapsing, nothing. Somewhat perplexed

eh every now n then oposite side outriggers get light i hate to say it but ive pulled my rigger on the 15 ton off the ground we do lots of log jams on rivers and creeks and every now n then you get a piece bigger then u thought or get snagged on something or trying to pull a log outa the mud. i can feel the truck move. a inch or two im not scared 6 is kinda like oh my. a foot is yikes, cable down!!! kidding never had it a foot off!

I guess I'm a chicken but the out riggers lifting is a big deal to me. I had a 53 ft high ranger on a c6500 gmc with 3116 cat and 2 out riggers it would lift if you were extended out to the side and it wasn't even a over center boom

I do it almost daily with a 75' Altec with the elevator all the way up, never had any outrigger issues. Once you get used to the extra reach or having the boom on the opposite side of the tree you'll wonder how you ever did it without flipping over. The Aerial Lift we have is another story, seems to want to lift on one side no matter how well set up. If it makes you nervous try setting up (whenever possible) so that your reach is directly behind the truck, its ALOT more stable that way.

I guess I'm a chicken but the out riggers lifting is a big deal to me. I had a 53 ft high ranger on a c6500 gmc with 3116 cat and 2 out riggers it would lift if you were extended out to the side and it wasn't even a over center boom
our crane has A frame outriggers, best guess at what they are called... if im only picking from one side and to the,rear of the truck and we are in a narrow road ill only put one rigger down talk about feeling a truck move

The outrigger raising a couple of inches is NBD. Simply lower the opposite side a bit more.

And I'll bet a nickle it wasn't the first time, just the first time you noticed it.

Gotta say, you know it. One of ours is a rear mount with out riggers at the rear, and if you fully extend Off the left or right side yup. you got an outrigger floating some inch or some.
Jeff

I had a pad lift and never felt it in the bucket. We were parked in a field flying over a fence into a yard. Both feet were sitting on about 30" pads. I hear a groundy start yelling and pointing. I guess the side I was over was sinking into a gopher tunnel and the opposite side was about 5-7 inches up. Freaked me out a bit to think about but I didn't even feel the shift.

Back