Who has become a weather nut too?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Tonight will be a really good test, predicted to be low single digits with wind chill of -15F. I was always a weather nut but going over to an OWB has caused me to religiously follow the 7-day forecast. I use it to plan when I'll be burning pine and other "junk" wood. On Sunday it was 56F here and I knew it was going to plummet so I got my trailer out to the main wood pile and brought a load of shagbark hickory rounds (seasoned 2 yrs) over to the OWB. These suckers give me incredible burn times. It is imperative to watch the weather to maximize your BTUs (and your hard work).
I also have a confession to make: I filled my two 330 gallon oil tanks today (219 Gallons total purchase) the price was $1.78/GAL so why not? It's my back-up heat and I'll use it for my domestic HW June-August (don't want the smoke when I'm outside by the pool in the summer). Stay warm folks....you are all a great group of helpful people and I enjoy the forum tremendously.....HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

P.S storm just started 6-12" snow falling today. sheeesh!

Last edited:
Yeah the cold blast and snow is hittin up here on the hill too, definitely time to bust out the hardwood for the cooker! :cheers:

You prolly did the right thing buying the oil now, no doubt the price gonna shoot up before long again. I bought a 150gal of offroad fuel for the dozer monday while the price is down.

I was sitting on empty for my two 330 gal tanks and just paid $1.76/gal for 300 gallons. I could probably fit another 250 in there, but I'll just watch the price for a while. It's snow pretty good in NE CT right now. :)

2-4 inches here last night and a balmy 17 degrees with a windchill of -10, sure is a big change over the weekend 58 degrees and flooded fields and roads everywhere. I just wish it would stay cold and wait for the big melt in late Febraury or March.

Yep, good going Scooter.

You've got a storm coming your way today so the weather says. I just got back from western Mass. yesterday and in a nick of time. Looks like we'll only get 4" snow up here, you guys are looking at a foot. Curious, what type OWB your using? I've been looking at the new E-Classic CB and they seem much better designed than the originals? I have oil/steam radiators as my back-up system and wondered how it would piggyback with the existing boiler? :cheers:

Around here if the wind blows from the west, the temperatures can be in the 40's/50's. But if from the north/east, in the 20's/30's.

Then there is a delay with my woodstove from when I stick wood in to when I get the heat.

So I watch the weather like a hawk. I have an outdoor thermometer. If I see the outside temperature falling, then more wood. If rising, less wood. If I know it is going to be real cold before I go to bed, then I fill the woodstove with wood. Or warmer, I let the fire die out.

Temp here is around 32 but starting to fall real quick. Winds were around 10 mph earlier but picking up. Weatherman says winds 35-45 mph this afternoon. I LOVE cold weather but can not stand the wind.

Tonight will be a really good test, predicted to be low single digits with wind chill of -15F. I was always a weather nut but going over to an OWB has caused me to religiously follow the 7-day forecast. I use it to plan when I'll be burning pine and other "junk" wood. On Sunday it was 56F here and I knew it was going to plummet so I got my trailer out to the main wood pile and brought a load of shagbark hickory rounds (seasoned 2 yrs) over to the OWB. These suckers give me incredible burn times. It is imperative to watch the weather to maximize your BTUs (and your hard work).
I also have a confession to make: I filled my two 330 gallon oil tanks today (219 Gallons total purchase) the price was $1.78/GAL so why not? It's my back-up heat and I'll use it for my domestic HW June-August (don't want the smoke when I'm outside by the pool in the summer). Stay warm folks....you are all a great group of helpful people and I enjoy the forum tremendously.....HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

P.S storm just started 6-12" snow falling today. sheeesh!

come on up north here we'd call that a nice warm day almost a tee shirt day -33 here is the norm and it will be colder by mid january
there is a reason they should put block heaters on skidders and for that matter even a chainsaw be a lot easier on the old shoulders

Yup!!

On account of the farm gig I normally follow the weather pretty tight.
Growing days, days below 40 degrees, rainfall etc..

But burning wood adjust the interest a bit.

Warm spell means burning the faster burning wood, colder weather means Oak, cherry, maple, and adjusting the burn pile in the lean to.

Got about 2" from that storm you guys are in now up east.
Lake effect hasn't stopped though. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I gotta admit I'm a weather nerd myself. My dad taught Earth Science for 35 years so learnin about the weather got beat into my head for years. We have a mini little weather station that has a barometer, thermometer, relative humidity, etc. The first thing I do in the morning is look at the clouds and check the barometric pressure. After gettin the fire goin good that is.
We've probably gotten 3-5 in of snow so far, I don't really watch the weather forecast I just plan for hell and highwater so whatever the case there's nothing to worry about.

About 7" here

But the wind is screaming about 35-45 MPH and temp is 4F:cry: I need fly to St. Somewhere. At least with the OWB I'm in shorts and flip flops inside. Oh well I'll be in Phoenix in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I find myself checking the 10 day forecast all the time now. Our weather here in Kalkaska Michigan is different than most parts of the country. It is very unpredictable. We are in the snow belt and it can snow 12" here and a couple miles down the road it may be only 1". It is also very windy here. It does'nt help that my house sits on top of a hill. I love it here but sometimes I wonder why on earth of all places I chose to live here.

Last edited:
Yeah I find myself checking the 5 day forcast regularly since we installed the OWB. Then I go to the stove and seperate the oak and hickory from the 'crap' wood, or cover more if calling for long days of rain. I enjoy the exercise of moving the wood around, but probably handle it to much.

We have had two snows, one dusting, the other about 2" with some ice. Other than that and a cold two weeks a few weeks ago, been a pretty mild winter so far.

Back