who hauls w/ a 4 cyl pickup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audible fart

MS390 OAK CZAR
Reaction score
My 1990 chevy 1/2 ton finally wore out. Ended up getting a 4 cylinder 2004 toyota tacoma reg cab 4x4. Man those things have weak stock leaf springs. I had to install hellwig helper springs right off the bat. I've been beating the hell out of it hauling lately. Just wondered how many of you folks haul firewood with your 4 cylinder trucks? I guess i'm trying to do more with less truck wise.

My 1990 chevy 1/2 ton finally wore out. Ended up getting a 4 cylinder 2004 toyota tacoma reg cab 4x4. Man those things have weak stock leaf springs. I had to install hellwig helper springs right off the bat. I've been beating the hell out of it hauling lately. Just wondered how many of you folks haul firewood with your 4 cylinder trucks? I guess i'm trying to do more with less truck wise.

Why not get a small dump trailer? But you still got to be careful. Cooked a dakota once, just got too big with the loads. Good thing the truck belonged to someone else..

I use a 6X12 landscaping trailer for the longer logs when scrounging. I don't see a dump trailer in my future. I got one of those new masterlock brand adjustable ball hitches to level out the truck and trailer when loaded to the limit. It helps.

6cyl ranger here loaded up and pulling a dual axle trialer....don't load that up all the way though, not with green wood at least.

The OP was about 4 cyl trucks, BUT,

I have a 3/4 ton with a V8. It hauls whatever I put in it or behind it.

WTF?

Did you read the heading? I was trying to make a point. You asked about 4 cyl trucks and get a bunch of responses about 6 cyl trucks.

WTF?

within a half mile of the house, i haul a 8x6 tilt trailer loaded as heavy as i can with whatever i need to (had a half cord in it once) and i pull it with a 1cyl wheeler lol. so x that by 4, and you should be able to haul 2 cords with your tacoma :cheers:
(i wouldnt try it lol)

I have a 94 ford f150 with the 300 6cyl. Had 4x4 and pulls a 16' flatbed. It's good at what it does.

I wouldn't overload a 4cyl though. They aren't meant for hauling heavy stuff.

I used an Toyota long bed 2wd 4 cyl. as my main truck (about 3 + years total)until last year. All in all it probably moved 4 or 5 times the wood my old D 500 Dodge did all with near 300,000 miles on almost every part of the engine and drive train. I started pulling an small old army trailer loaded with wood also and finally the clutch started slipping and the brakes got very bad so its been sitting most of the last 7 or 8 months and I've been using an Isuzu 4wd 4 cylinder with air shocks this winter. Much better for pulling the trailer. Before these trucks I had an old Datsun and a 1987 Nissian and several full size P/u' s inbetween. All of them were used when I bought them and high mileage by the time I was done with them and rust was the biggest problem I had. I don't leave heavy loads on them overnight like I do the big Dodge . Most of my wood deliverys are for 1/3 cord seasoned wood and they all handle that well with just a little help with the springs. Doing that much wood at a time I couldnt do it near as efficiently and with the same or less effort if it were a standard size p/u truck. Probably average handling 50 to 75 cords per year.

i had a 98 2.7 4x4 5 speed tacoma for 7 years. it was a great truck. only thing it didnt take much in the bed. i had 1200 lbs of wire in it one time and i think i got air under my front tires a few times lol.

my buddy has a 1500 silverado it acts the same way. drags its ass all the way home. 3/4 ton is where its at my dodge dosent even squat loaded down with green wood.

I use a ’91 Dodge Dakota which I bought new and have burned about 6 cords ( 24 truck loads) a year and have to haul it around 25 miles. I keep a come-along in it because to pull me out when I get stuck. Last fall I could not make it up a hill and had to use a 150 ft rope, a come-along, and 2 ½ hours to pull it up a hill. Not a pleasant experience when I was already tied from cutting wood. I purchases 600 feet of rope that I am planning on making a sky-line, so I don’t have to go to the bottom of the hill again.

The head gasket went out on it last week, and I am going to get if fixed. I hope to get another year or two out it (101,000). Probably magical thinking though.

i had a 98 2.7 4x4 5 speed tacoma for 7 years. it was a great truck. only thing it didnt take much in the bed. i had 1200 lbs of wire in it one time and i think i got air under my front tires a few times lol.

my buddy has a 1500 silverado it acts the same way. drags its ass all the way home. 3/4 ton is where its at my dodge dosent even squat loaded down with green wood.

The yota is king for getting the wood out and doing small deliveries. I need a 3/4 or 1 ton for bigger deliveries though.

Back