Who have been saved by their chain brake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just wondering how many people here have been saved from potential injury by having their chain brake work as designed. .....

No, but they are practical when drop-starting the saw in tight undergrowth, tall grass or (most important) with a long bar! :clap::clap:

Last edited:
I think the last time mine was on it was from being bumped on the dozer cage, other than that never when it's been in my hands. Jeesh...I'd better check to see if it works! LOL!

...If you're relying on the brake to save your butt... then you need to consider a different option on how to cut wood.

Gary

You're dead right there.

Sure, a chainbrake is a pretty good idea for greenhorns learning the ropes, I'd agree on that probably. And sure, if more experienced operators like chainbrakes and they give a sense of safety, then good luck to them, no problem there at all, sweet. Individual preference. Operate with what you're confident with.

When I hear 'experienced' operators stating that their chainbrakes are always 'saving their ass' and 'If you don't have a chainbrake you're an idiot' I just shake my head.. Their techniques AND attitude are all f##d-up brother.

Look, if you've got any bit of sense in your head, just one scary kickback 'incident' should wise you up for good - and quick fast! If you're a learner, have a chainbrake and learn to use the f##n saw properly.

Reading rule-books and a manual won't help you in the real world. Most cuts and injuries have nothing to do with chainbrakes. Cutting your throat up a tree or taking out your lips and nostrils on the ground is the height of stupidity. And yeah, that's right, chainsaws aren't f### toys.

Some people seem to just never, ever open their eyes and learn.

If you're not capable of operating day to day without having dramas and close-calls, CHAINBRAKE OR NO CHAINBRAKE, then you shouldn't be on a damn chainsaw. Get the hell out of it and stay well away. Take up knitting or suchlike instead. Did I mention that chainsaws aren't f##n toys? Rant over..

chainbrakes

I like the chainbrakes on little saws. They are the ones that that will
kick back and cut you if you not careful cutting up limbs and tops.
I had a friend that had a little Homelite that kicked back
and put a scar on his forehead cleaning up his yard.
I have a a Poulan S25 that does not have one, I am very careful with
it or use a saw that has one. One of my friends has a Jonsered 2036
with a chainbrake that won't trip. I hope he does not get cut with it.

I am a sometimes user of chainsaws.
I have 5 Poulans, 2 Husky's, a DollyMac, & a Stihl on a stick.

I never had a saw with a chain brake untill I got a 385xp. I guess if ya never had something, ya never missed it! :) My old Poulans have hand gaurds, but they don't push back on my left hand, like the brake does, when the saw is up against a big log while bucking. Kinda annoying.

My seat belt, motorcycle helmet, air bag, or chain brake, havn't done anything for me yet, or saved my butt! They ALL, may very well do just that some day. And, I'll be thankfull they were there.

The owners manuals for every thing now days is nothing but safty warnings!
Yea, Dumb Azz its a Chainsaw! They are inherently dangerous. Just the nature of the beast.

I'm not a Pro Logger, so I don't run a saw every day. I suppose the more ya run one, the chance for a mistake or slip-up increas.

That being said, I think I could get along just fine without one! JMHO

:cheers:
Gregg,

Had one engagement over the years, Hit a railroad spike in the tree and it kicked just enough to set it off. i never lost control of it though. Up untill i bought the stihls i never heard of a chainbrake. All the older saws i've had never had one. I think there a good idea and should be on saws but people have used many saws over the years without them.

Never had the air bags in my car go off;
never been in a building when the fire sprinklers turned on;
never been in an aircraft and had to use the escape slide;
never been shocked by an AED or been cut out of my car by the 'Jaws of Life';
never had to 'break glass in case of fire' or got to pull one of those alarm things;
never got to see if those big springs in the bottoms of the elevator shafts really work;
never cut into MY chaps or steel toed boots;
never stopped a bullet with a kevlar vest;
never hung from a harness when working at heights (except in training);
etc.;
etc.;
etc.;

But others have.

So, the question you need to ask, friend, is,

"Do you feel lucky?"

attachment.php

Philbert

I've been cutting firewood for the lodge that I work at for about 5 years now, only in the fall. Normally, we drop the bark beetle trees in the winter, cut them to about 12 foot lengths and haul them to the back with the snow cat. This spring the owner decided he wanted to open a little more space in back for projects and using the backhoe piled the logs on top of each other, interlocking them. We were supposed to get the backhoe up here in the fall, and I thought I'd move them around with that, but it never materialized (no chance to dig the wood fired hot tub either). So, It was up to me to dissect the stupid pile, cutting so that you could actually get the logs onto the ground and away from the others to be able to buck them up. All the while, trying to ensure that I live to play another day.

I was cutting into one log about 22" with the lodge's husky 570 and a 24" bar. It had another log close behind it. I was aware of the potential for kickback in cutting this one out, standing slightly to the side of the saw, and was paying very close attention but about 1/2 way through the cut the danger zone on the tip hit the back log and the saw shot straight up through the cut. I was able to bring the saw back under control when it was about vertical, the chain brake did engage... and after the fact was very happy to know they do work. I was quite suprised just how fast it all went down. I found out about this site and ppe shortly after and ordered a full set up.

$125 bucks aint nothin compared to a chainsaw to the face or leg.

It's the only time I've had one activate and plan on it being the only one I ever have activate. Next year I'll stack with the backhoe if they don't want to do it right. I'll also check and ensure that the breaks are operational before I run the saw.

Sean

Back