Who Heats with Wood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 90% wood. Propane is set for 68 for the females in the house just in case. Hot water is still on propane. Gas man was here and toped me off the 24th and only put 135 gal in and was he pi$$ed. The last time he was here and put anything in was July and that was only 150 gal.:clap:

Thermostat set at 55. I heat a 3000 sq ft house with a 36" Fireplace Xtroidinair zero clearance fireplace. Burn about 5 to 6 cords a year from my own land.

All wood

100% wood heat in a Surefire hot air furnace. Have a coil in the plenum that I pump an antifreeze solution through and into a coil in a 30 gallon tank of domestic water that is preheated up to about 135 F. This tank then feeds the natural gas water heater. I use less than 25 cents of gas a day. In the summer time instead of the plenum coil I change over 2 valves and put the antifreeze through my hot water solar panels. The preheat tank can get up to 170F!! on a July day.

Heat a 1300 sq. ft. rancher with an Englander wood furnace. Ice storm here recently yielded a lot of wood. Glad nobody was hurt or property destroyed in my area.
I go through about 4 cords a year.

#3 Heat downstairs with wood ~90%. Upstairs is electric on dual rate so it is a little cheaper. Backup furnace NG is on 60 most of the time unless we are out and need to keep the baby sitter warm. I don't ask them to stoke the stove.

Wood stove 95% of the time, electric baseboard heat down around 50 hardly ever used. I heat about 1500 sq. ft house with wood.
Tom

Same here, except we haven't had the baseboard heaters turned on yet (the house is 1850 sq. ft.).

The winter has been fairly mild so far with only a handful of days around -26°F (-32°C), not including the wind chill factor.

Wood stove 95% of the time, electric baseboard heat down around 50 hardly ever used. I heat about 1500 sq. ft house with wood.
Tom

Electric baseboard at 55 all winter to keep the pipes from freezing. Wood is what's keeps it warm when we are here, at the weekend cottage. In the city it's steam and that is too hot for life to exist in. Often need the fan on and the windows open in the day.

OWB is used for 100% of heat; but I do have a fuel oil back up. Have not used it yet this year.:clap: :clap:

But I burn a "Magic Box" OWB It heats my house to a sweltering whatever I set each stat. I am cold natured. so I keep my house pretty warm.. 80 is the minimum in the office. Bedroom can not be set to over 76 or the wife complains.. Living room 75-80 depending on who adjusted the stat last

Holy crap, 70 here. Any higher and Im sheding everything I got. Pretty picture aint it.

Oh yeah, 100% wood OWB to heat house, gas for water (cant get boiler to not fire when water tank calls for heat.)

#3 The House is 70 and the garage is 55.Central 4030 OWB. Heat my hot water from May to Oct with oil. 125gals.Haven't bought oil in about two years.

I use an OWB with a propane boiler for backup. Back up will only kick in of the water in the owb gets below 120. That may be once or twice a season.
House is set at 74 and the shop it at 65.

#3.
Wood stove heating main floor. 1550 sq. ft.
In floor heat in daylight basement and domestic hot water is oil.
I cut my own wood on my own lot and should have put a gasification unit for basement and HW. But I would not be with out my wood stove. I get a lot of solar gain and use 2 1/2-3 cords.
Dan.

Clayton add-on, with NG back-up...4-5 cords of what ever fits in the hole!

NG Furnace only kicks on when house temp goes below 63*, which was about 3 years ago :cool:

I get called a thief or a crook a couple times a year by the gas co., they're sure I've tampered with the meter and I'm stealing from them..what irony!

Jeff

I heat 100% with wood. No back up of any kind. Kinda proud of that. Hey Hanko- How do you like the Charmaster?:chainsaw:
compared to the fire chief i removed, it a better furnace. It took a little getting used too. a few different things too do and remember. I think Im getting it figured out. One thing i did that really helped was to move all my cold air returns to floor level, like the instruction tell you. also i increased the vollume of return air. I dont think ILL use half the wood as i used to like they claim, but I will burn less. How long have you had one and any tips will help, thanks

Henry

wood stove only...house is 170 years old...no furnace at all...and i like it..chainsaw and splitter gas is cheaper than bloody ekeltricity...

it's amazing how much wood can be had just for the asking...

Latest posts

Back