who here has used the FS110 with circular blades?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHJim

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think sometime in Feb/March I am going to buy a new FS110 and I have known and read that the circular blade for bush cutting has to be used with bike handles. Is this a must or can the circular blades be used with the loop handles too? I know the saw has to be cut a certain way with a blade otherwise the saw will throw the shaft the other way. I do not think I want to get the bike handle because it really looks akward to me and the amount of usage form the blade will probably not be THAT significant.

So who here uses the blade with the FS110 (or any flavors of FS trimmer shaft) with the loop handle? I may think of the FS90 and FS130 too but got to see if the blade can be used with the loop handle. I an only going a bit more powerful to handle the blade.

I know its cold and Christmas is approaching...but I like well thought out plans...

I use it on the 110 and the 250 They both have the wrap handle and I have had no problems. Make sure you keep it out of the dirt though and watch out for those hidden pieces of iron .​

You are right that when cutting with one side of the blade the kickback forces are greater, That being said it's not a good idea to use a brush blade with the loop handle, but yes it can be done,would I recommend it NO! That BLADE WILL TAKE YOUR ANKLE CLEAN OFF! honestly I find the bike handle set up is actually pretty comfortable once you get use to it, it saves your back.:cheers:

You can use the fs110R (loop) with a metal blade but in order to do so, you will need to purchase a kit that has the thrust washer, bolt, barrier bar and clunky large deflector. As I recall, these parts do not come standard with the loop but do come standard with the bike units. I would strongly advise you not to run anything above the 3 point brush knife on a loop handle. If you hit anything that the brush knife can’t handle, just whack it down with a chainsaw. I have heard some folks sing high praise about the power scythe attachment available for the 110R or 130R but I think it is a very expensive option and I dont know how well it would work in heavy brush. Good luck on your choice.

I have an FS 130 with the bike handles. I got it that way because I planned on using the circular saw blade on occassion. I'm glad I went this route. If all I were doing was trimming around my house, I would have gotten the loop. But for clearing brush, the handle bar setup with a harness can't be beat. I've also had some kickback with the trimmer and I wouldn't want to find out what would have happened if I didn't have the handle bars to help me control it. One thing to think about, I've cut through 2" sapplings like butter, imagine what that blade would do to any part of your body.

When you get the saw blade, I'd recommend the chisel tool blade. The cutters look like chain saw cutters and you can sharpen them yourself in short order with a round file.

I use my FS110R with a blade and the loop handle all the time without any trouble at all. The blade is so far out in front of you I really don't see how it could come back and hit you. Make sure your 110 is the R version with the solid shaft, it's not a good idea to use a blade on a trimmer with a flex shaft.

I have an FS250 and I looooooove it! It's got the bike handles (it ain't no Harley, but it's still a pair of handlebars! :cheers:)
At the Bounty Hunter ranch the circular saw blades didn't work well at all...in fact they were about as worthless as stepped-on dog [email protected] dull just looking at the scrub oak.
The three-bladed brush knife worked fantastic...even on 1" thick scrub brush and scrub oak. I keep a DeWalt cordless mini-grinder handy for quick sharpenings (it takes about 30 seconds).
After cutting all the brush on the fenceline with the FS, we drove over and mulched it with a garden tractor...I like it when a tough job gets done easy and fast!
:cheers:

blade hitting you

That is exactly what I am thinking too. I have a hard time figuring how a blade can come out and hit you when using a loop handle stick. Mainly want to get this trimmer to do other chores (my Echo looks tired :clap: ) but want to have a versatile stick that can double duty as a bush cutter...sort of like hitting two birds with one pellet :dizzy:

Anyway good read. I may have to get with ole' Tommy and see what it cost to outfit a FS110R with the head to get a circular saw.

Anyone know if Stihl runs Christmas promotions? If they do have these promotions...ole Tommy can expect a knock on a cold winter morning :)

A 110 will run a blade but don't get it just to run a blade. A 250 runs the blade like it should be run, and a 130 is sort of decent.
And bike handles suck on anything less than a dedicated brushcutter/clearing saw, and none of the 3 mentioned models are worthy of being that. If you can't handle a 'dangerous' tool then don't use it, not sure what to tell you there...:confused:

i have a fs90r. had a torn up homelite brush cutter that came with a j handle. just switched them out. works well for me. you can make a barrier bar out of a piece of conduit and a u bolt

Back