Who is still burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought in ANOTHER! cartload of locust this afternoon. I am now into the second cord since the heating season should have ended. Low 50s today, near 70 tomorrow and bck to low 50s again after that. I have only let the fire go out twice so far this year and both times had to restart it in the evening.

Harry K

water heater

turned the water heater on sunday.found a bad braker.last time i had it on was 2 years ago.k

Brought in ANOTHER! cartload of locust this afternoon. I am now into the second cord since the heating season should have ended. Low 50s today, near 70 tomorrow and bck to low 50s again after that. I have only let the fire go out twice so far this year and both times had to restart it in the evening.

Harry K

IMO, you should be burning your much-loved willow. I'm burning as much crap pine as possible. But what's seasoned is red oad. Sucks to be burning good wood in marginal times when exterior temps are 45-55*. Swept the barn. culled the bark and chunks for the 4-10 fires I know we'll have before July. July is usually the only onth the stove gets zero use. Late august will have a rainy day or 2 w/highis in the 50s

IMO, you should be burning your much-loved willow. I'm burning as much crap pine as possible. But what's seasoned is red oad. Sucks to be burning good wood in marginal times when exterior temps are 45-55*. Swept the barn. culled the bark and chunks for the 4-10 fires I know we'll have before July. July is usually the only onth the stove gets zero use. Late august will have a rainy day or 2 w/highis in the 50s

Can't say I ever "loved" burning willow - it was a case of necessity. That locust borer did me a big favor but I hate to see those nice old trees dieing.

I still do have a batch of willow cut...ummm...2 or 3 years agobut it is all sold and waiting for delivery time.

We are under a "Winter Storm Warning" right now and for the rest of the night here. Raining and blowing hard right now.

Harry K

45-degrees here this morning, house at 68, forecast is for low 60's, but with lots of sun... house should warm up nicely from solar radiation all on its own. Might get down into the upper 30's tonight but lookin' for mid-80's by Monday... been near three weeks since I've lit the stove, but did fire up the LP furnace one morning last week for about an hour.

I'm done! I'll clean out the ashes for the last time this weekend and move what little wood I have in the basement out to the fire pit. Late comin' this year, but it's finally BBQ, bonfire and beer season below the 45th Parallel!

Now, for the boys somewhat north of me... like CrappieKeith, it could be a couple-three more weeks or so. I'd bet they're still seeing frost some mornings.

I haven't seen any of the "Minnesota State Bird" 'round here yet... but with all the rain we've had I probably should stock-up on some of that there summer cologne. Moved my beer to the shop fridge a month ago... during a fit of wishful thinking I suppose. I'd bet the compressor has only kicked in a half-dozen times; those shop fridges run cheap when they're sittin' in 40-degree ambient.

down to 42 this morning...fired it last night,,to keep the chill out..the windows are getting replaced next week,then probably wont have to but light a match to warm the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'd bet they're still seeing frost some mornings.

Yup had a frost advisory last night, and also have one for tonight. Been getting into the low 40's to upper 30's most nights. But, we have been getting some sun, so that has been warming the place into the 70's during the day. May have to light the stove again tonight for a quick burn. Basement is in the 50's so it is a little to cool to hang out there for long.

woke up to 36 degs. this cool morning at 5:30 am and almost june??? coverd the tomatoes an peppers last nite as well as tonight again.... if its not the rain its the frost! maybe we can close the stove door for the last time in sept. for a few weeks.

28 degrees this morning, and 2" of snow.

Surely we have an AS member in Alaska or Canada who burns longer than I do ?
attachment.php

No snow here but they had a winter storm warning for area's a little higher up. Hadn't had a fire for a couple weeks but was around 40 last night and windy. House was 52 this am so I had to light up the stove again.

Back down to 40 tonight..had to bring up another couple wheelbarrows full. I think it was a few weeks ago I speculated that I'd still be burning till Memorial Day..

Can't say I ever "loved" burning willow - it was a case of necessity. That locust borer did me a big favor but I hate to see those nice old trees dieing.

I still do have a batch of willow cut...ummm...2 or 3 years agobut it is all sold and waiting for delivery time.

We are under a "Winter Storm Warning" right now and for the rest of the night here. Raining and blowing hard right now.

Harry K

Earlier this week the national map showed us as the cold spot in the country. Hit 70 today and I think we rounded a corner. Fewer than 6 fires til we hit early burning in late august.

Never have burnt willow. Lotta popple and a heck of a lot of pine and hemlock. I hear white pine is preferable to willow on a # of counts.

What ever it takes. I hate burning good maple and oak on June.

I shut down yesterday. No more free hot water:(. Been very warm here in NE Pa. the last couple days. Possible record highs today and this week. I always start-up Labor Day weekend and shut down Memorial Day weekend. My wood is cut and stacked for this coming season and working on the next.

Latest posts

Back