who made the first modern chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
File:Osteotome3.jpg

Built as a bone saw in the 1830's by Bernhard Heine.

Cool pic of a tiny white square with a red X Grr

in 1926 Andreas Stihl designed the first bucking chainsaw it used an elictric motor. this was publicly accepted as the first ''real'' chainsaw. it was also the first mobile chainsaw. in 1929 he also patanted the first petrol-driven chainsaw, which was operated by two men and known as ''the tree felling machine''. these patents were the first successful ones for hand held mobile chainsaws designed for cutting wood. STIHL STIHL STIHL:clap:
i should have waited a bit longer i was surprised how long it took cause this is a pretty easy question

in 1926 Andreas Stihl designed the first bucking chainsaw it used an elictric motor. ....

That is where you went wrong - it was not independant of an outside power source, and surely doesn't count.

If that counted, it lost to the Sector by ten years or so, anyway.......:monkey:

Last edited:
My vote goes to Charles Wolf. or R.L. Muirs endless crosscut saw. they were bolth early 1920's

My vote goes to Charles Wolf. or R.L. Muirs endless crosscut saw. they were bolth early 1920's
his machine weighed hundreds of pounds and was never accepted by the public as a commercial success

In 1929, Stihl patented the first gasoline-powered chainsaw called the tree-felling machine. These were the first successful patents for hand-held mobile chainsaws designed for woodcutting. Andreas Stihl is most frequently credited as being the inventor of the mobile and motorized chainsaw. He invented what we today recognize as being the modern chainsaw.

From About.com so its gotta be right.

In 1929, Stihl patented the first gasoline-powered chainsaw called the tree-felling machine. These were the first successful patents for hand-held mobile chainsaws designed for woodcutting. Andreas Stihl is most frequently credited as being the inventor of the mobile and motorized chainsaw. He invented what we today recognize as being the modern chainsaw.

From About.com so its gotta be right.

No
, it was Dolmar (1927)....:)

**** **** and more ****

:poke: :poke: :blob6: :blob6:

It is all your bad, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.....:censored:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

sorry troll stihl had it in 1926 all others are followers!!!!!

Wrong again, the 1926 one doesn't count - if that was the case, the 1916 or so Sector would count as well....

Last edited:
But it took Andy Stihl another three years to build an engine to power it, putting him two years behind Dolmar.
if that was the case why was andy the first to patant the petro saw?

Latest posts

Back