Who made this logsplitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinivanFan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know who made this logsplitter? It has a warning lable that says Heath on it but I can't find anything online.

Chinese

My first guess is Chinese.

The wheels and engine at least.

Appears that it is intended to be placed in the bed of a truck and moved. The wheels aren't high speed.

With all that said the twin pipe slide is a slick idea too.

If the name Heath is on it it may have been built by the Heathkit company which sold many products in kit form for over 50 years. They originally started with small electronic kits such as ham radios supplied with surplus parts but later ventured into building kits for many different items. They supplied the basic part and instruction and the buyer would build.

If the name Heath is on it it may have been built by the Heathkit company which sold many products in kit form for over 50 years. They originally started with small electronic kits such as ham radios supplied with surplus parts but later ventured into building kits for many different items. They supplied the basic part and instruction and the buyer would build.

hey...you're right.

http://www.n4mw.com/gu1810.jpg

gu1810.jpg

looks to be a smaller version. notice it says "save your back".....lol..that poor guy is bent over like a hunchback.

Pretty neat. I've seen a bunch of those set up as three point hitch splitters, never knew who made them. I think thats the first time i've seen one powered by a small engine. Good investment back then...... i wouldn't think you'd have any trouble getting your money back on it, even after splitting your firewood with it for the past 25 years ! :cheers:

My dad bought it 2 or 3 years ago for $100. It had the original engine which running fine but it started having trouble running. Long story short, I broke two of the cylinder head bolts by mistake. a couple days later Harbor Freight had a 6.5 hp engine on sale for $60 so we bought it and also replaced the soild tires with pneumatic tires. We have aready split rounds that were around 15'' or 16'' with it without any trouble.

That Harbor Freight engine is a good engine. I replaced a Tecumseh off of a Troy-Bilt tiller.Supposed to be identical to the Honda.

That engine is used by the go cart crowd.

MinivanFan, sorry for getting a little off topic.

I recognize the tires from HF too.

I gotta say I like the 50 cal ammo box on the side! Ya never know who would be lurking behind the trees, waiting to snag freshly split logs! ... well, unless you cut 'em all down first I suppose.

Pretty sweet "two tube design" too!

The ammo box is storage for spare spark plugs and stuff.

Does it go all the way down to flat on the ground? A friend had one and is laid down flat. That was great to roll the big rounds directly onto it, only he found out that it didn't have enough power for big rounds. So he ended up putting it up on sawhorses. worked great for what we have here, sat outside in the weather for years. He was not big on maintenance.

There are some fundamental engineering problems with the structure, how the bending is tied in, such that WF beams are better use of steel than round pipe, but it was a neat machine and built without much machining.

Back