Who makes a 8 Way Log Splitter or larger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4 Seasons

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Third time trying to post this question... this time I will try without the link. So does anyone know who makes a larger splitter that will handle a 2 ft log without floping it 5 times?

wood splitter

You are looking at a serious wood splitter
like a TW5, TW6, or TW7 with a six way wedge or the
box firewood wedge for bundled firewood for the TW7.

Where in New York are you?

The Chomper Simplex 14 is a better bargain for the money and it reduces
the amount of handling as well as not needing a chainsaw.

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I started looking for an upgrade splitter from my swisher horizontal/vertical 22 ton to decrease my time splitting. Found many good splitters like the timberwolf, chomper, built rite, and many others, but many were limited on diameter of the logs or rounds they could split. They all also had one major problem and that was the price. 10k or better on each, c'mon really? I don't see them with 14 karat paint or built in wood stackers, so I am building my own. Anyone could build one for a little time and a lot less $$$ then they are trying to sell them for, even if you have no fab skills you could have a metal shop build you one to your specs for about 1/6 the cost of a factory built one. Just a thought

well in that case, getting into processor territory, I will scale down on my idea. The larger spliters with a factory 6 way wedge is sounding good for around $4000. Im not doing much quantity at this point. Just expanding the business a little bit. Thing is, when I do wood I wanted to do it fast. More $$ per hour. I was thinking Icould load it with my excavator and split with a remote control as i go. Does anyone make a remote system like a stump grinder? I know I can get a splitter attachment for my mini and my skid but I dont want to do that.

4 seasons,

Alot of this will really boil down to what kind of wood you have access to, and what size finished splits you need to produce. Pushing wood through a 6-way wedge takes quite a bit of power and puts a ton of pressure on the splitter. If you get lots of knotty or twisted grain wood I don't think you'll be happy with pushing that though a 6-way, you certainly won't get the speed you're looking for and you might just twist some steel.

As far as 6-ways go, I think you could go with a Built-Rite 11HPWS or 24HPWS (which I have) or Timberwolf TW-5, TW-6 or TW-7. Either BR can run a 6 or 8 way wedge, or a 10-way for that matter. I think the TW-5 and TW-6 can only run up to a 6-way, and the TW-7 has a box wedge. I also think split-rite has a 6-way. The cost difference between the units spec'd out with different wedges isn't really that much as the splitting wedges are usually interchangeable.

I also have a splitter rigged up to my backhoe, which is interesting. I built it up to break up "beast" rounds, but even with smaller rounds it's certainly not faster than running splitter from the ground.

I'm in NW NJ, if you're close and want to see my gear let me know.

-Mark

Last edited:
:drool: ooooooh built rite. I had not heard of those. That 24! Now I dont want anything else. Kubota diesel option to boot!

I would like to see that gear but Im up near Albany. What do the load rite 24 go for?

did you check out American CLS splitters and conveyors ,i seem to remember seeing a 6,maybe 8 way slip on wedge for their bigger units

:drool: ooooooh built rite. I had not heard of those. That 24! Now I dont want anything else. Kubota diesel option to boot!

I would like to see that gear but Im up near Albany. What do the load rite 24 go for?

You're gonna have to check with Built-Rite, but last I checked they're running up over 10K. They're bascially half of a small processor.

PM me if you want more info.

-mark

Latest posts

Back