who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best diesel truck

I really cant say enough about the power of the cummins 5.9. As for the way it rides and drives I have never had anything better how ever I have spent some change to get it that way with after market parts. For the price it should have come that way from the factory. 500 H.P. would be kind of neat, but a 3/4 ton 4x4 automatic that will get second gear scratch its not really lacking for power so I will keep the $600 it takes for the 500 hp in my pocket. Comfort and quiet until I turn the 2 amps on at 2000 watts. The comfort comes back when I turn it down to about 1200 watts.:)

Ah, the old 7.3 IDI motors... Just about as reliable as a 12V, them things will burn anything. IMO, it was the most reliable Powerstroke ever, the 7.3 Turbo motor was good, but didn't last as long as the older IDI's. The 6.0 is junk, and the new 6.4 is getting a bad wrap already, of course it doesn't help that you have to pull the cab off, yes off, to change turbo's... :dizzy:

Working at a camp ground for 3 years has given me a lot of diesel obsevations and insight. Duramaxs are king right now. That is what I saw most of for newer trucks. Obviously, 6.0 had a spotty record, some loved them and others couldn't keep the thing on the road. I am gonna have to say the new 6.4 is soon to follow in the 6.0's footsteps. I was so pumped to see my first 6.4 ever last summer. Well, one pulls up and I had to ask how he liked it. "Good till I started the trip here" It had over heated already!!! Not even a thousand miles on it. The engine compartment was horrible too, so cramped. Couldn't find anything easily. Most of the cummins owners were fiercely loyal and loved their truck. Same goes for 7.3t guys. Mostly 24v up at the campground. If I was gonna buy a diesel, I would go cummins 4.6 (24v or 12v), then 7.3t, then duramax 6.6. I drove a manual 7.3t this summer at my local tree company. Well over 200K and beat the pi$$ out of, and still pulling pretty good.

What the heck is a Cummins 4.6 12V or 24V? :dizzy:

They were either the 6cyl, 5.9 B series (12V) or 5.9 ISB (24V). Then they had a 3.9 and 3.3 B Series and BT Series (BT had a Turbo), but those weren't in Trucks. Of course the king of the P-Pump Motors is the 8.3L C Series Engine, unless your an Int. man and you want the DT466.

+1 for the old IDIs! I have a 92 Ext. cab 4x4 F-250, I LOVE the way that series of trucks looked, and even more, I love the way the old diesels sound! I have 229k on mine, I mostly use it as a car, carrying heavy electric motors around. I have pulled some heavy loads with it, and it did just fine, I heard it explained this way on the diesel forums:
"Hook up whatever you want behind an IDI, you won't get there first, but you'll ALWAYS get there!"

We still have an old 83 F-250 on the farm, 6.9, on it's second engine, truck is pretty much worn out, has probably over 500k on it now. LOTS of road trips! I really like Powerstrokes too, BUT, I prefer the simplicity of my old tractor engined pickup! I run Stanadyne in it and Beru glow plugs, and It started at -37 below last winter, NOT plugged in! There were numerous cars that didn't start that day, I was a little worried, but after a bit of slow cranking, off she went!

I love Ford trucks, I think the new ones have fantastic interiors, A buddy has a Dodge cummins that is 2 years old, rattles like an old Pontiac, leaks dust, rides horribly. He had a PS Ford before that, boy does he regret that move!

For the new stuff, I dunno...they're all so quiet, I guess it's nice for driving to the mall, but personally, I LIKE the Diesel noise! I plan on keeping my old 92 for a long, long time! It's getting *restored* next summer--new paint, engine gone through, tranny and T-case gone through, new locker in the rear, maybe one in the front too, (ARB maybe!) and a Banks or ATS turbo on it, plus a lift and some bigger tires. Will be a sharp old truck!

Never heard a new Dodge rattle... Chevy's used to pretty bad up until these new series came out, and the old series Fords were horrible. My 97 is getting a pretty bad rattle from the drivers side door panel, I popped it off to change the speaker, and busted a few of those plastic clips that hold it on, now the bottom of it rattle like a mother, guess I need to bust out the PL400. As far as ride goes, your not gonna beat a Chevy/GMC with the IFS... But its a stinking truck, you're whining about ride but praising a loud engine? Thats as ass backwards as Barack Obama at a KKK meeting.

All the new trucks have great interiors, basically, whoever has the newest model is top dog.

I like the way my cammed big block 70 Chevelle sounds too, doesn't mean I want it to ride like a grain truck! :givebeer:

And PS, that was HIM complaining about the ride, not me! My leaf spring F-250 doesn't exactly ride like a Bentley! :)

Last edited:
IMHO I would stay away from Dodge.Unless they have improved their trany's they can not handle the cummings. I would go with GM first then Ford.GMC is the work horse of the GM market.Or just buy a Peterbuilt

I'm a Ford truck guy , have had my '00 PSD F350 for all of it's 240K... love the 7.3.

Born and raised to be anti-Dodge but the 12V Cummins is what all small diesels are measured against.... the little 4bt power-plants also make grin!

totally true about dodge trannys ... a mis-match for cummins.

but in defense ... my stock 47RE auto has consistently pulled 30k+ lbs with no problems. my 97 12v is dead stock and could be easily bumped to 400+ HP with little effort.

main reason for not bumping HP is stock torque converter will not hold it. the plan is to wait until stock TC dies, then install a triple disc Goerens. after that's done... I'll be bumping power to 400hp or so..

now if I had a manual tranny... all I'd have to do is beef up the clutch... then it's good for 500hp... much less expensive than a built-up tranny.... which can easily cost $6k+ :chainsaw:

IMHO I would stay away from Dodge.Unless they have improved their trany's they can not handle the cummings. I would go with GM first then Ford.GMC is the work horse of the GM market.Or just buy a Peterbuilt

"Best" is a relative term. What one person loves about a certain truck, someone else might hate.
Overall, Id have to say Ford would be the best diesel truck. The reason I say this is because overall, the Ford is the strongest in terms of frame/suspension and driveline.
However, the weak link of the Ford is the engine. There are so many problems with the Powerstroke. If you could get a Ford Super Duty with a Duramax or Cummins, it would be hands-down the best heavy-duty truck on the market.

The Cummins is a good motor. Diesel power said it has two things you need to
look into. One was a lift pump - don't remember the second.

...Was the automatic transmission. They ended up fixing that, but to be fair it was mostly an issue with guys that were mashing the pedal. The older generation pre 98? are talked about as the best of the bunch for modding. The newer ones are very good from the get go. I couldn't get the diesel as the cost wouldn't allow it, but the newer trucks are still pretty nice.
Chad

So, you're saying Dodge trannies are ok as long as you don't use the throttle? lol
The dodge trannys are ok, Mine has 153,000 on it and no trouble. Where a lot of them failed was when the cummins was modded for more horsepower, Then they couldn't handle the extra power. Granted they aren't the best tranny out there but in stock form there ok. The only thing i dislike about mine is it don't wanna shift into overdrive on cold mornings. It will eventually but takes a little while. It has been like that since i bought it.

dodge transmissions for cummins are based off of the rugged 47RH series. which is used in school buses.

base problem is the mismatch between a legit medium duty motor with a light duty drivetrain. cummins 6BT is in a detuned state, stock in dodge trucks. with 12v CTD, it's nothing to bump up to 500+ hp, keep fuel mileage and retain reliability.

in fairness to stock dodge trannies... not many other stock light duty truck transmissions would survive under those conditions. there are some who claim Allison transmissions are bullet proof. but I'm not convinced stock ford torque converter would fare any better under a 500hp load.

built transmissions costing $6k+ generally use a triple disc torque converter with billet shafts. these type trannys are used for tractor pulls and drag races. it's not unusual for cummins trucks to pull 10 second quarter miles and be driven several hundred miles to the event.

So, you're saying Dodge trannies are ok as long as you don't use the throttle? lol

Chevy Allison tranny is bullet proof, and the duramax engine rocks.
:givebeer:

It probly is bullet proof with just a duramax bolted up to it. The real test would be bolted up to the cummins which to this day with a heavy load will still walk away from the duramax. Not saying the duramax is a bad engine but it is not in the same class as a cummins. If the duramax could do with a heavy load what the cummins does do you would have heard of a lot more chevy tranny problems.

Back