who makes the best diesel truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had both first a 1991 dodge that would not quit,but rode like a tank. Then a 2001 Duamax that gave me all kinds of problems,but rode like a Caddy. In 2004 went back to Dodge,well over 100,000 miles gets 26 mpg on trips,20-22 around home and 18 towing a heavy trailer around home and a little under 20 on trips. So far 1 universal joint and a water pump. Under $100.00 to replace the pump and put a new belt on it. Rides close to the Chevy,yet out pulls it. After this bail out I will be looking seriously at Ford in the future,I do not agree with the bail out.

I am quite partial to my 7.3 powerstroke super duty. The straight axle leaf sprung front holds the 1100lb boss poly v-plow very well, the truck tows like a dream with plenty of power and stability, and I have been able to put far more in the bed and tow far more than I should expect from a pick-up. It now has a little over 300,000 miles and has been pretty much reduced to wood hauler, top soil hauler (using a dump trailer), tractor, dozer, 5th wheel camper, gooseneck equip. trailer hauler, and in the winter MAJOR SNOW PUSHER! (I've plowed a couple of very large commercial accounts with the truck for 8 years. If we get 3" of new snow I plow for 8-10 hours straight, with big snow falls, sometimes the truck doesn't shut down for 24-36 hours.) Engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft u-joints, etc. have still NOT BEEN TOUCHED! Only regular fluid/filter/maint. I have had to replace brakes (lots), ball joints, wheel bearings, water pump (180,000 miles), serpentine belt (after 250,000 miles), and it now needs glow plugs, an oil leak, and coolant leak fixed (300,000 miles).

I know that the new Fords have had their problems and the Cummins has been very proven as a work horse, but I almost owe it to Ford to buy my next truck from them. Granted, the paint is starting to fall off the truck, but the interior still looks like new and isn't falling apart, all on a 10 year old truck.

I figured your truck was a late 90's before I even got to the part that said it was ten years old. Those were good years for Ford. It seems like all the manufacturers have had certain years when they produced great trucks. Usually its the last few years of production of a certain model, after they have worked any bugs out. I love the Cummins, I think its the best diesel you can get in a pickup. I think it would be a great thing if Ford could get a contract with Cummins to use there engines in the pickups. After all the bull#### that GM and Chrysler have been swimming in with Uncle Sam I don't think I'll ever buy a new vehicle from either of them.

I figured your truck was a late 90's before I even got to the part that said it was ten years old. Those were good years for Ford. It seems like all the manufacturers have had certain years when they produced great trucks. Usually its the last few years of production of a certain model, after they have worked any bugs out. I love the Cummins, I think its the best diesel you can get in a pickup. I think it would be a great thing if Ford could get a contract with Cummins to use there engines in the pickups. After all the bull#### that GM and Chrysler have been swimming in with Uncle Sam I don't think I'll ever buy a new vehicle from either of them.

I agree I like the Cummings,would definitely buy a Ford if it had it. After all the gubberment crap would not even consider a Chrysler or GM product,unless it was pre gubberment crap.

I think Chevy makes the best deisel truck becouse they have a great motor and a great transmition. I like the Dodge trucks with the Cumins, but I don't like there transmitions.

I think Chevy makes the best deisel truck becouse they have a great motor and a great transmition. I like the Dodge trucks with the Cumins, but I don't like there transmitions.

There's one guy who can't spell...

The Chevy has a poor chassis, decent engine, and a good transmission (if you only like automatics...)

Meanwhile, the Cummins is the best Diesel offered in the light duty segment, thats why both Ford and GM use them in other applications. They have great transmissions in the AISIN, the new 68RFE, and to an extent the 48RE. Of course, they are only the automatics... Dodge is the only company to even offer a manual trans with the G56. If you break a G56, you're doing something way, way, way wrong, because stock they'll hold over 800HP.

attachment.php

Local tree service 98 Dodge 5 speed looses 5 gear 4 times in 150,000 miles ....His 97 only had the problem 2 time and he sold it ....I sure hope that problem was fixed.....I have read this might be a common problem on the older ones ......

Our local Dodge dealer has 30+ Cummins Dodge trucks used on his lot from 07 to 09 all ext cabs and mega cabs ....Found out sat nite that there all dealer buy backs and have branded titles....Lots of buy backs at that auctions...

Last edited:
hate to be a dodge dealer about right now...

yup it's true... 5th gear nut comes off on cummins trucks, losing 5th gear. that's how I got my 96 cummins with 67k miles. 5th gear came off and last owner needed truck right away to make a long trip. so he purchased a new dodge cummins.

meanwhile the repair shop fixed 5th gear by tack welding nut. so hopefully I will not have that problem again.

Local tree service 98 Dodge 5 speed looses 5 gear 4 times in 150,000 miles ....His 97 only had the problem 2 time and he sold it ....I sure hope that problem was fixed.....I have read this might be a common problem on the older ones ......

Our local Dodge dealer has 30+ Cummins Dodge trucks used on his lot from 07 to 09 all ext cabs and mega cabs ....Found out sat nite that there all dealer buy backs and have branded titles....Lots of buy backs at that auctions...

which version of upgraded nut are you referring to? loads of failures with upgraded nuts..
http://www.dieselbombers.com/cummins-corner/4623-nv-4500-5th-gear-issues.html

welding is not pretty but does hold together. http://www.dieselbombers.com/cummins-corner/8538-nv4500-welding-5th-gear-retaining-nut.html

Tack welding the nut works ok if you never want to rebuild the tranny, then its a #####. The upgraded fifth gear nut works fine and dosn't mess up the mainshaft.

Well, you can get them in Ferd F550s and above... Of course you can get a Cummins in them too

A Cat powerplant would be sweet for the right application! But they don't wind up real fast making them less ideal for the majority of road drivers. Not saying it would stop me from buying a Cat powered truck though

You can't get a cat or a cummins in a F550. They only come with the powerstroke or V10 gas.

not Chevy

As much as I Love chevrolet, I have to admit, they never really made a good diesel engine. remember those old ceramic heads? How about that 350 diesel. Jokes. Im stihl laughin

As much as I Love chevrolet, I have to admit, they never really made a good diesel engine. remember those old ceramic heads? How about that 350 diesel. Jokes. Im stihl laughin

The LMM D-Max may be the most reliable of the current 3.

The 6.4 Ford doens't seem much better than the 6.0.

The 6.7l isn't a bad engine at all, just got some teething problems with the EGR system and how it effects the VGT.

The injector failures the LMM have been seeing are hardly called reliable. The 6.7L is having some programming issues and EGR/VGT issues, again, due to programming.

The 6.4L is a waste of time and money. I don't think the new "Scorpion" diesel will be much better.

At this point you're better off to wait a year or two til the bugs are worked out to buy any diesel truck.

The LMM D-Max may be the most reliable of the current 3.

The 6.4 Ford doens't seem much better than the 6.0.

The 6.7l isn't a bad engine at all, just got some teething problems with the EGR system and how it effects the VGT.

I have the 6.7 cummins I hope it does not turn into a money pit.

Back