Who Needs a Big Stumper!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumper63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just had to post a few pic's of the little 252. Did two side by side blow-overs from last year's storm the other day. A couple of 44" firs. Turned out real nice. One still had about 15' of trunk buried in the dirt, got it uncovered an cut up.

Someday will have a bigger machine, but time and persistence still work!
Stumper63

Nice! I'm working on a group of 4 blow-over oaks left over at my dad's house from Katrina with my 1625. The small stump of the 4 was about 30" across and the large of the 4 is over 40" across. The other 2 are somewhere inbetween. I've gotten one of the 3 done and lots of the roots gone already. Probably have 4 or 5 more hours to go.

I'm saving my money as quick as I can for a 7015 so I can do these quicker.

I found since getting the Carlton with the Kubota I am using it way more than my tow behind. A real role reversal!!!! I'm planning on keeping my tow behind just in case a hurricane hits, then after this year I'm moving it and getting a 8018 track.

That Carlton 4012 will be my next machine, but will be installing a Sandvik wheel on the old 252 next week, will be interesting to see what it can do.
Should be a great improvement from same old machine, we'll see.

why grind out them stumps, why not just pick them up out of the ground with a loader or knuckleboom and be done with them in minutes., thats just my input, thats how i handle blowovers

why grind out them stumps, why not just pick them up out of the ground with a loader or knuckleboom and be done with them in minutes., thats just my input, thats how i handle blowovers

Hmmm, maybe because I don't have a Knuckleboom? And no, I don't want to buy yours. ;)

nice pics stumper i use my rayco 1665 for blowed over stumps when i can get to them. if not i will use the vermeer sc 60 tx i still have a old rayco 1620

No such equipment here either. Don't forget it also takes a dump truck too to load the stump into, then to haul it away and pay for it's disposal. Also, no access for a truck to this job, and way too far for a knuckle-boom to reach. So grinding works for the little guys. Besides, when done ripping up the stump out of the ground you leave a gaping hole which my customer's don't seem to want. The chips from grinding fill everything nicely, no hauling in of fill to bring back up to grade. So all in all, I still think grinding blowovers is the way to go if you want a finished product with minimum equipment in minimum amount of time, with just one person. Just my 3-cents.
Stumper63

They'll be needing fill dirt in 2-3 years!
I have mine ground, then fill as needed with odd bits of dirt from around the yard.

grind stumps and loading them with a knuckle boom both have pros and cons . some customers want them ground others would rather have them hauled. geuss it all depends on your budget. id rather grind them that way i dont have to haul in dirt and pay to get rid of the stump.

2 much are you talking about the 252 being junk? every machine has a limit to what it can do. the 252 will grind any size stump it will take longer than a bigger machine. alot of rental company's will send out equipment with dull teeth etc . they just dont know as alot of homeowners use them and they dont know any better if the teeth are dull.

Back