Who Owns an Appalachian Stove Insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ROKFISHIN

ROKFISHIN

ArboristSite Lurker
I recently installed an Appalachian insert and have questions about the air intakes. 2 are in the doors, and 2 are up high on the front corners. My question is where do the top ones vent? The only way I can get the fire really blazing is to crack the door, then it really dies down when I shut it. Could there be some blockage in the upper vents? I also would like to know the best settings for both vents and the damper for longer burn times.

KRS

ArboristSite Operative
For the record... I'm guessing.

But I think the top holes on most inserts are for air to circulate from in the bottom out the top; through a chamber that isn't in the firebox.

That is: the fire heats the firebox, the air goes just outside of the firebox through a channel and exits the top to heat up the room.

Maybe... like I say, I'm guessing.

KRS

ROKFISHIN

ROKFISHIN

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks KRS

But I don't think that is right. There is a definate draft from these inlets. I can put a lighter to the vent and there is sucked right into the stove.

I am also having problems with smoke spilling out while loading. There is a metal plate under the flue and plenty of room for the smoke to exit. I removed the plate for a week or two and had no problems, but was loosing all my heat. Put it back in yesterday and the stove is making killer heat, but still getting a little smoke into the house while loading, especially after a long burn. Once the pipe is hot, it is better.

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
This sounds like a blockage in the fluepipe to me.

At the end of last years heating season I was starting to get smoke in the house with a fresh fire. When I cleaned the chimney, ash had built up around the collar/pipe at the inlet and left a small 2" opening at the top. This explained my low draft and smoke spillage.

Hope you find the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts