Who sweeps their own chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any tricks or tips that people who want to start should know?

Top to bottom? Bottom to top?

Cleaning agents?

Any info would be great!

Top to bottom is the best option,IMO, but I have done both.Fiberglass rods and steel brush (nylon for SS liners) work great, but so does a rope with a weight attached to the brush.I wouldn't use any solvent or such, as the brush will get it plenty clean.Oh, and try not to fall off the roof!

Top to bottom is the best option,IMO, but I have done both.Fiberglass rods and steel brush (nylon for SS liners) work great, but so does a rope with a weight attached to the brush.I wouldn't use any solvent or such, as the brush will get it plenty clean.Oh, and try not to fall off the roof!

I do basically the same. I sweep 2,one is brick with a tile liner,the other is metal. The metal one I take the top 4 foot section off,makes it easier,you got to take the rain cap off anyway. I do not use any chemicals,and also try not to fall off the roof.

so far falling off my roof is not recommended. And a nylon brush for SS chimneys. Cool.

Does it just take a couple of passes or is scrubbing needed?

Doing mine now as I write. Do most from bottom up as my chimney is 32' and not reachable from the roof. Once a year I get a lift or 40' latter to inspect and clean from top down. Have always used wire on my SS though and brush says OK for SS on the box. After you burn awhile on SS there is a slight coating that never comes loose and the bristles don't seem to get to metal anyhow. Got 2 45's in the run so fiberglass rods are essential.
352407296.jpg

More suggestions

I no longer have a chimney on house to maintain (have OWB) but here are some other tips for cleaning chimney.
1. Open damper so creosote will not back up into lower chimney when pushing down from top.
2. Use some old gloves to keep your hands clean
3. I kept my fiberglass rods threaded together in pairs, this saved time when inserting into chimney.
4. I put a wire brush or small scraper in my back pocket to use for cleaning the cap.
5. For safety (2 story house) I always had someone hold the ladder.
6. Always clean when fire is at lowest heat level.
7. Watch the weather report and clean during warmer, less windy days if possible.

I just cleaned mine yesterday because it got up to about 58 degrees. I use the fiberglass rods and metal brush that I bought at Lowes. I do this twice a year. I do it once before burning season ad once about the middle of the season.

Just about everything has been covered already. I start at the top and go down. I make two passes like that but one would probably do.

Good luck, be careful and just use common sense and you'll be ok.

If youre going to ever clean with even a small fire going, use a wire brush. Doesn't hurt the ss pipe. I use a rod to clean the top 4 ft of the chimney (during the burning season). Then in the summer, I use a rope, pulling the brush from top to bottom. Don't fall off the roof IS good advice!:clap:

Ours is a 7" square clay liner. I use a square brush which requires a health amount of force to get through the flue. I tried the fiberglass rods, which bent too much to push very far from the top. So I employ the assistance of my son, who pulls the brush from the bottom through the clean out door. Our brush only goes one way, no changing directions unless you're hercules. 3 or 4 passes and it's done.

TS

I go top down. When I clean my chimney, my flue comes off also to clean. One thing I carry is a small mirror. When you go up there to clean the chimney, make sure its sunny out. The mirror will allow you to inspect the chimney, or liner. Its like putting a spotlight down the chimney.

Who sweeps their own chimney?

me. i just did it for the first time since 1979, and it's 16 degrees out.

it was so clean, it wasn't worth the effort.

I have a metal chimney in my shop for the first time in my life. never had 6 inch SS before but plan on doing it from the bottom up as I have a metal roof Aint going up there for nothing!So nylon bush is best??I need to buy the stuff to do it with Will home depot have this stuff?

that is what i have also. I will probably buy my stuff at a stove shop. I don't paying a little more for customer service.

I clean mine from the top down. I use a ladder to access the roof. I have a 6" SS liner inside my block/brick chimney and I could clean it from the bottom to the top, but soot & dust will shower down upon you from the bottom cleaning.

I also use a metal brush on the SS and haven't incurred any problems. I have the smooth double wall SS. Maybe the flexible culvert looking SS liner may have problems with the metal brush.

Main thing is to be very careful. Never attempt to do it alone, make sure the ladder is very secure, don't take too many things up on the roof with your hands full, maintain 3 point contact on the ladder at all times, don't try it in the wind, rain or snow.

If you have any doubt with your ability, hire a chimney sweep to do it first and let him know that you'd like to have some instruction so you can do it yourself next time. If your sweep is a compassionate human being, he will honor that and you will share his business cards with those who don't want to clean their own chimneys!

Be safe!!!!!

low budget chimney cleaning

My woodstove is in the basement and I have triple wall pipe straight through the roof. I am on the low budget side of cleaning, I use a burlap sack with a plastic bag inside with sand in it. I had to try two or three times to get the right amount of sand but it does a wonderful job of cleaning the pipe. Since my chimney goes through the roof I dont have to worry about balancing on a ladder and the rope is much easier to handle than the threaded rods in my opinion. I also only have to do this two or three times a year unless I am burring green wood.

Much safer to clean mine from the bottom but the screened chimney cap has always forced me to climb 40 ft up the ladder just to clean the cap. The other day I tried using hose clamps to fasten about an 18" piece of stiff garden hose perpendicular on the end of my cleaning rod, ran it up to the top of the cap, hooked a drill motor to the rod, and gave it a good spin. Worked surprisingly well but I think I could conjure up something even more effective than the garden hose like maybe a strip of plastic or fiberglass. Any ideas?

Much safer to clean mine from the bottom but the screened chimney cap has always forced me to climb 40 ft up the ladder just to clean the cap. The other day I tried using hose clamps to fasten about an 18" piece of stiff garden hose perpendicular on the end of my cleaning rod, ran it up to the top of the cap, hooked a drill motor to the rod, and gave it a good spin. Worked surprisingly well but I think I could conjure up something even more effective than the garden hose like maybe a strip of plastic or fiberglass. Any ideas?

I think I understand. You are making a drain snake, right? Great idea. I made a drain snake out of a drill and some steel cable, worked great to clean clogged pipe, saved a call to roto-router

Who cleans their own chimney? Oh I do, I do.
I get mine from the top, I have a rancher, access to the roof comes easy. Could break dance up there drunk and if you fell you would be fine. The thing is the hard black resin never comes off. I don't know if this is dangerous. I get the loose stuff no problem but the black resin don't budge.
I clean mine a few times a season, you can tell its my house by the long pole and brush that stays on the roof all the time ( the christmas lights too but the gutters are always clean). I just leave it up there, don't bother me. I would try those cleaning logs but that would mean I would have to pay actuall money for something:)
I always wondered what people who had those liners did. Replace them? They are like dryer vent tubing right? You can't stuff a brush down them can you?

Back