Who the Heck Steals Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thief is a thief and will steal anything and everything.
I totall agree with fubar.
But you should start worrying what he will steal from you next.

"I dunno, officer. It was dark out and I thought it was a bear tearing up my woodpile."

A little over-reaction, I think. Burning shotgun shells are surprising, but hardly dangerous. The powder and hull burns, and the shot just kind of lays there.

This is not a definate. If the primer heats up before the powder burns, the shell could still discharge as designed, especially so if it was contained within the wood like a firing chamber. And while on the firing chamber point, even if the powder went first, the containment within the wood could still cause an explosion. And there is still the primer, which alone could heat and blow.
It's not an over reaction really, but sane advice to counter a careless proposal.

This is not a definate. If the primer heats up before the powder burns, the shell could still discharge as designed, especially so if it was contained within the wood like a firing chamber. And while on the firing chamber point, even if the powder went first, the containment within the wood could still cause an explosion. And there is still the primer, which alone could heat and blow.
It's not an over reaction really, but sane advice to counter a careless proposal.

So in other words make sure to take the shot out first. OK, good advise.
Let the stealer beware...

So in other words make sure to take the shot out first. OK, good advise.
Let the stealer beware...

No...that wasn't the advice at all. Booby traps are not sound practice, because they cannot interpret the changing environments and situations they end up in. That's the advice, and the plea actually.

I hopped in the truck the other day to replenish my firewood stacks. I have several places where I cut, and I usually block, split, dry, and store most of my firewood offsite. I usually keep a couple cords at the house. So anyway, I pulled into the field and drove to my "landing". To my surprise, I couldn't find my stack. So thinking that all the beer has finally gotten to me, I drove to my other sites just to make sure I hadn't moved it, nope, just stacks of stuff still seasoning. After several trips and searching, I finally admitted defeat. The rest of this years wood is gone.

I called up my buddy, the owner of this particular piece of land to get his thoughts. He definately remembered the stack being there and had an idea of who might have "borrowed" it. I hopped in his truck and we took a ride to this gentleman's place. Sure enough, there was the wood that I had cut, split, and dried to keep my family warm. I could tell by the marking paint on the end of a couple peices in the stack mostly. Now it's very hard to impossible to prove that any wood not stacked at your own residence is yours, so it looks like I'm up a creek without a paddle. All my other stacks are still drying for next year and the year after.

I just can't believe someone would do this. I've had stacks picked through before, they didn't take much. Usually they just take enough for a campfire or something, no big deal. Sad thing is, if someone was hard up I would have helped him out. Just don't know what to do.

What were you doing, driving around after drinking all that beer?

What were you doing, driving around after drinking all that beer?

Hahahaha! I'm sorry, I meant all the beer over the years getting to my memory. Sorry for the confusion. I don't drink and drive. Did way too much of that when I was young and stupid as heck. It's a doggone miracle that I never hurt anyone or got arrested.

Hahahaha! I'm sorry, I meant all the beer over the years getting to my memory. Sorry for the confusion. I don't drink and drive. Did way too much of that when I was young and stupid as heck. It's a doggone miracle that I never hurt anyone or got arrested.

Good, I hope not. Sorry about the theft of your wood. Wait till the guy is not home and go steal it back!lol

Just go shoot yoties till what ever ungodly hour your allowed.. Will he get the hint no.. but you wont end up in jail.. Move your wood home.. Be safe out there. I would be hella pissed but.. I wouldnt do anything that would put me close to jail..

But first before you do it post it on the internet:hmm3grin2orange: Just go and take back what he stole and be done with it.

How are you gonna prove it was yours originally if you get nabbed at it? I still prefer a random beating by an unknown assailant.

Well this is actually easier said then done. This township that it would fall under has no local law enforcement. The state police have jurisdiction over this area and they honestly have a lot of more important things to do. I do plan on asking a game warden who covers the area that I know pretty well, but when it honestly comes down to it I did everything wrong.

- I'm cutting on land not owned by myself in this instance.
- I'm storing wood unsecured on land not owned by myself.
- I hadn't been to this "landing" for almost a month now.
- There are no posted or no trespassing signs because we like to hunt it and they dont mind if others do too.

It just seems that in the eyes of the law, I really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. As for hiring a lawyer, forget it. That would cost more than it would to buy several cords of wood at least! Besides, I prefer to stay out of the laws radar for silly stuff. One of those out of sight out of mind things.

I have to ask.
Did you and the landowner work out a deal where you are allowed to cut and store firewood on his property??? You know. You split the stack of firewood with him..... If that were the case then I think the law would be much more in your favor.
I am sure that the owner drives by the "landing" more than once a month to check on his part of the supply.
My mind works backwards sometimes, but I bet that your friend would remember such an agreement.

The direct answer to the title of this thread is a low-life $cumbag. I can be kind of a confrontational type of guy. I think my plan would be to approach said low-life, tell him I know where the wood came from and that I'm here to reclaim it. If he had a problem with that, which I doubt he would, I'd offer to place the call to the cops. 5 will get you 10, he'd help load the wood just to end the situation.

I have to ask.
Did you and the landowner work out a deal where you are allowed to cut and store firewood on his property??? You know. You split the stack of firewood with him..... If that were the case then I think the law would be much more in your favor.
I am sure that the owner drives by the "landing" more than once a month to check on his part of the supply.
My mind works backwards sometimes, but I bet that your friend would remember such an agreement.

The property owner is a farmer and his son. I've known them both the majority of my life. I'm teaching the son how to cut as he has recently moved into a place that he heats with wood. I also help the farmer with "beautification". There are a lot of areas that need to be cut for one reason or another. I'll burn almost anything that's seasoned and the farmer doesnt have to hire out to have trees taken down and removed. I keep what I cut and my buddy keeps what he cuts. The farmer doesnt want his son cutting alone and trusts me so it works out for everybody.

WoW! Takes a while to read the whole thread to get the history.

OP, I give you credit for staying calm and not doing something that you will regret! Sorry to hear of your loss!

There has to be some dry dead fall around you cut and use this year. I know, not what you had planned.

Revenge just creates hate.

I know the farmer has talked to the guy. Probably that's enough to keep the guy from taking more.

I know what it's like to have something stolen from me. I had a trannie stolen from my driveway. There had been straight line winds through our area and a lot of trees were down. I came home one day to find a large chunk of wood sitting where the trannie was sitting. Apparently, the guys truck was full and he had to make room for the trannie. The good thing was this was the bad trannie! Not too long before, I had the good trannie sitting in my trailer waiting form me to get time to install it. It was sitting very close to where they got the bad one.

The only reason I wanted the bad one is so I could take it apart to see why if failed. It was a all of a sudden mechanical failure with the engine free revving like it was in neutral. It would move in first and reverse but sounded like there was gravel in it. Crunch, crunch!

The other thing that got me was that I felt violated with knowing someone was on my property without my permission and took something that was mine.

Another time, this was after we had moved out of the house and it was on the market, I came over to check on it and found a large tarp on the roof. My first thought was someone had noticed that my roof had been damaged by a storm and covered it for me. Well, it turned out that a roofing company had started tarring the shingles off, figured out that they had the wrong house, tarpped it and fled!

Well, before I figured out that it wasn't a storm that did the damage, I had reported it to my insurance, and got a full claim. It wasn't until I started cleaning it up to re-roof it that I figured out what had happened. In my mind my claim changed from a natural destruction to vandalism which wouldn't have been any different in my insurance eyes.

I spent some time looking around for houses being roofed with similar house numbers. However, even if I found a crew working on one with a similar number, I figured they'd just deny any involvement.

Back to firewood. I try to take anything that I cut that day knowing if I can lift it, so can someone else. One place I cut, the farmer has eyes (other people watching for him and knows who is on his land). I had made an honest mistake and cut in another guys area. He drove out with in an hour of me starting cutting. I felt bad. We talked and fixed things up. I'm still welcomed on his land.

It's taken me a while to get over the above items. Now, I can talk about them without my blood pressure rising. This too will pass.

Last edited:
The only reason I wanted the bad one is so I could take it apart to see why if failed. It was a all of a sudden mechanical failure with the engine free revving like it was in neutral. It would move in first and reverse but sounded like there was gravel in it. Crunch, crunch!

what kinda tranny was it? chevy 4L60s are really good for pump failure that acts like that

real question is, did you even call the state boys or are they still there just kinda "waiting"..... :D

I find that when I inform the LEOs that I am armed the response time gets real short. Last time was less than 5 minutes. The sad thing is I know how to get them there that fast from having to call them so many times with people doing things they shouldn't on the farm.

As for the OP-

Hate it for you. I had a neighbor come into my yard and pull off my pile for a bon fire the other day, middle of the day, while the wife and I were off having Christmas dinner with my family. Talk about upsetting me. Two days later a big bunch of Poison Ivy fell out of a tree and I just pushed it up with a blade to look like a nice pile of brush at the corner of my yard... when they burn that they'll remember about picking stuff out of my yard.

Back