Who uses masks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol im trying to prevent a future of lung cancer and oxygen masks
...and its pretty apparent that i am not the only one
I understand that but have you never been to a bon fire or sat around a campfire at night? What about grilling some burgers on a charcoal grill? Sure its not the best for you but your in way more danger everytime you get in your automobile and go to work.

aaralor unless you have an owb, your opinions don't carry much weight. I don't wear a mask while just adding wood, but like Jossell when shoveling out the ashes every couple of week I wear a mask and just started wearing googles to keep the ashes out of my eyes.

True that I can see an OWB being pretty bad a "skidder" bucket full of ashes is quite a lot. Don't think I don't use a respirator I have one and use it when I see fit, but not when loading my stove or shoveling out the ashes.

i try to but not always i have a 100css same problem its not the smoke its the dust and ash when you stir it up before loading leaving blower on just blows it in your face worse:)

This will get worn more times then not, when loading or cleaning. Sometimes while lounging around the back yard fire pit. You just can't be to safe, now a days..........

Attachments

• IMAG0126.jpg
    IMAG0126.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 28
Ever think about opening the draft for a few minutes before opening the door. I dont have a OWB, just a old home made buck type stove in the basement. I know if I sling the door open smoke will roll out. If I open the dampers first and give the fire time to start burning big, I dont have any smoke come out the door.

I have a wood burner inside the house to and don't have any smoke escape (or very little when I open the door), but seems like most owb do. I'm guessing at least on mine since the stack is so short it doesn't have a great draft. There is a fan that's controlled by a thermostat, that when the door is shut artificially makes a draft while its running. Just another kind of animal from a inside wood burner. So once again I don't think you gentlemen that don't operate owb can relate.

I have a wood burner inside the house to and don't have any smoke escape (or very little when I open the door), but seems like most owb do. I'm guessing at least on mine since the stack is so short it doesn't have a great draft. There is a fan that's controlled by a thermostat, that when the door is shut artificially makes a draft while its running. Just another kind of animal from a inside wood burner. So once again I don't think you gentlemen that don't operate owb can relate.

Well, I admit, I dont have any experience with OWB, but if they are that much trouble, not sure I would want one. In fact most of the folks I know that have one say they regret getting one. Not sure their problem there. I always thought having the stove outdoors would eliminate a lot of problems, especially of the mess.

I understand that but have you never been to a bon fire or sat around a campfire at night? What about grilling some burgers on a charcoal grill? Sure its not the best for you but your in way more danger everytime you get in your automobile and go to work.

You dont understand, its not exactly the smoke that i am looking for protection from, its the ash that kicks up and comes right at your face when you move the wood/coals around inside the fire box. also when auguring out the ashs, there becomes a big ash cloud, sure putting your shirt over your nose and mouth helps mentally, but i do not believe it really does as much as we assume. lastly my boiler has a horizontal flue that needs to be cleaned about once a month. the way you clean it is by removing the back access hole and using a pushing scrapper to push all the ash/soot to the front where it drops back into the fire box. while doing this, there is often times that a big cloud comes rushing back at you.
so as you can see, an owb is much different than a bon fire or grilling out

You dont understand, its not exactly the smoke that i am looking for protection from, its the ash that kicks up and comes right at your face when you move the wood/coals around inside the fire box. also when auguring out the ashs, there becomes a big ash cloud, sure putting your shirt over your nose and mouth helps mentally, but i do not believe it really does as much as we assume. lastly my boiler has a horizontal flue that needs to be cleaned about once a month. the way you clean it is by removing the back access hole and using a pushing scrapper to push all the ash/soot to the front where it drops back into the fire box. while doing this, there is often times that a big cloud comes rushing back at you.
so as you can see, an owb is much different than a bon fire or grilling out
Yep I spoke out of turn on the OWB from what your saying I would have my respirator on for sure. For some reason I had the image of someone putting on a mask in order to throw a split in their wood stove in the living room.

So when the wind changes and starts blowing the smoke into your face do you just sit their and breath it in or do you move like a rational person?

I have a indoor wood add on furnace in the basement. I have added a squirrel cage blower between the floor joists right in front of where I load the furnace. Started with a simple on-off switch but now have a crank timer (like in a hotel room bathroom for the heat lamp) It adjusts from a few minutes to up to 2 hours depending on how far you twist the timer. Can't tell you how many times I turned the exhaust fan on before this saying to myself "now come back in 15 min. and shut fan off. Two hours later realize exhaust fan is still running, exhausting perfectly clean warm air outdoors ha ha. PS OP anything you do like cleaning the chimney or adding height will prob help. Also when placing a new OWB I would have the feed door on the west end as our wind mainly comes from the west etc.

Back