Whoaa.....Something's wrong???!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run AV gas and always need to retune after a saws been run
on pump gas. If i had to guess, the AV gas is slightly thinner
and can pass more through the jets to make the saw run rich.

Just my 3 cents

Lee
The other day I was browsing around the lawn/garden section at WalMart and they had three open cans of 40/1 mix cans and I screwed the cap off one and smelled it and it smelled exactly like avgas (which has a pretty distinctive odor compared to auto fuel). I found that curious. I've never used either in a two stroke engine.

Just a thought. If you buy individual cans of fuel in a store like Lowes or HD you could be buying cans that were returned.

Unscrupulous jerkoffs can buy the fuel, switch it out and the unsuspecting customer would never know until it was too late. I had a quart of Tru-Fuel 50-1 that was straight gas. Just lucky I was paying attention when I refueled my blower. No pink tint like it was supposed to be.

If your going to buy it from a big box store, either buy an unopened case or at least open it yourself for single can purchases.

It sucks that you have to do this, but it pays to be careful.

Just a thought. If you buy individual cans of fuel in a store like Lowes or HD you could be buying cans that were returned.

Unscrupulous jerkoffs can buy the fuel, switch it out and the unsuspecting customer would never know until it was too late. I had a quart of Tru-Fuel 50-1 that was straight gas. Just lucky I was paying attention when I refueled my blower. No pink tint like it was supposed to be.

If your going to buy it from a big box store, either buy an unopened case or at least open it yourself for single can purchases.

It sucks that you have to do this, but it pays to be careful.

what about the plastic anti tamper insert? Was it intact?

so many variables here to wonder about....

sounds like it could have been a leaky lid that let out the light ends (vapors) of the fuel or an unscrupulous soul who returned trash fuel....

Also, all fuels have a different specific gravity.....

This explains why you have to retune when you change brands/octane ratings of the same brand/get a new formulation of gas from the same pump (winter or summer gas)

How about the fuel/oil ratio? The premix is 40/1 50/1? What ratio do you normally use? With 40/1 your saw runs leaner than 50/1 because more oil means thicker mix and you have to open the jets more.

I run Stihl oil at 50:1, the husky fuel was 50:1. I think I was just the lucky one that pulled the right can off the shelf. It might have been returned because it was awful light like I said. But when you put fuel in and start a normally good running saw and it wants to stall out that is kind of strange. The specific gravity would explain a lot, that's why I'm going with the non ethanol pump gas, the same all year if I'm not mistaken.

There isn't one on the new cans.

Yes, yes there is. I have a skid of the stuff at work and just opened up some new cans today .

11222412_478423628980272_2122071475386930903_n.jpg

Really? The cans look exactly the same I would have thought they would have packaged it the same way. That way you know if your mix has been tampered with.
They modified the Tru-Fuel cans awhile back. They took out the stupid plastic X that the old can had and are now straight through. I just bought 8 cases from Home Depot online when they were on sale for $19.99 a case. They are all the same. The can that was supposed to be 50-1 but had straight gas was from a previous purchase at Lowes.

Thats the way my Husky can was. No seal. It seems that in the best interest of the customer that they would put that 5 cent seal on. Just thinking. If they did it wold probably be good for business. Just thinking again!

The reason why the carbs need re-tuned is that the ethanol in the fuel actually leans out the fuel. You need just over TWO times the volume of alcohol compared to gasoline to run a stoichiometric mixture ............... the more alcohol in the fuel, the more high and low speed opening you will need.

If any machine is tuned for ethanol fuel, then switched to canned fuel, it MUST be re-tuned to account for the different BTU/gallon of fuel.

As far as the machine not being capable of being leaned out on the high end, Has the air filter been cleaned ? Was this the 066, the 460, or both saws couldnt be leaned out ?
A great way to check without laying out any money is to remove the air filter and try to tune it again. If it leans out the way it should without the old air filter installed, its time to get a new air filter.

It was the 460. I just put an HD filter on it 3 months ago. Filter was clear and unclogged. It tuned fine when I put the ethanol fuel back in. I put non ethanol fuel in last nite and had to adjust the carb a little bit but it tuned just fine

If it tunes fine with now, it could be that you had a bad can of fuel, but wouldnt both saws have exhibited erratic behavior ?

Since it was just the 460 and not both saws, could be that the 460 high speed adjusting screw might have its needle tip or seat buggered.

Canned fuel needs even less jet than non-ethanol pump gas.

The 660 did it to. I might not have made myself clear. I dumped out the fuel in the 660 and added non ethanol fuel from the pump and it was fine. The 460 I put ethanol fuel in after the Husky fuel but dumped it out later and added non fuel. Everything's fine now

Back