Who's Feelin Less Vibes ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw has less bad vibes ??

• Husky

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Stihl

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Echo

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Efco

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
F

fuzz1500

Recently got to cleaning up a Pioneer Farmsaw..dated 1980 . Needs the typical ignition coil to run..but otherwise really clean...and waaay cool IMO !! Anyway....flipping the saw to see the bottom..I noticed the antivibe configuration....and couldnt help but think that it looks very familiar to my Husky 257's antivibe set up..just worked on that too !
So I was wondering fellas...what saw manufacture came up with the first antivibe for a chainsaw....who improved upon it over the years ..and who has the best today ! Out of all my saws that I have had/have........I gotta say my little Dolamar has less than any..followed by the Husky 550xp . But I ran a Stihl 441 that was smooth as silk too...hmmmmm !!
Some pics of the Pioneer that got me thinkin !
006.JPG 010.JPG
The antivibe in question !!
013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently got to cleaning up a Pioneer Farmsaw..dated 1980 . Needs the typical ignition coil to run..but otherwise really clean...and waaay cool IMO !! Anyway....flipping the saw to see the bottom..I noticed the antivibe configuration....and couldnt help but think that it looks very familiar to my Husky 257's antivibe set up..just worked on that too !
So I was wondering fellas...what saw manufacture came up with the first antivibe for a chainsaw....who improved upon it over the years ..and who has the best today ! Out of all my saws that I have had/have........I gotta say my little Dolamar has less than any..followed by the Husky 550xp . But I ran a Stihl 441 that was smooth as silk too...hmmmmm !!
View attachment 330096 View attachment 330097
View attachment 330098

That saw is almost too pretty to use. Almost.

Least vibe: Husky / Jonsered, IMHO.

One that really surprised me was a PP4218. Got it as a backup for <$100, and it turned out to be a worker. Smooooth.
Another real smoothie: RedMax GZ4000. Big-time worker too.
Quiet mufflers a significant plus.

View attachment 330096 View attachment 330097
View attachment 330098

Those classical lines on that Pioneer saw are just eye candy;)

I'm gonna be 73 next month, been cutting since I was about twenny.
I've got 3 broken coller bones, broken, frozen and burned fingers and much other stuff, but I,ve never been bothered by saw vibration, even old Macs & Homies, guess I,m numb!

John

Only reason I voted Husqvarna is because of Stihl's use of plastic handles. For example, the older 026's with the aluminum front handle have far less felt vibration than the newer ones with the plastic front handle. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just crazy. I do think that if Stihl would mount an aluminum front handle on the MS261, it would rival the equivalent sized Husqvarna saws.

That's a purdy saw you have there. Never seen a pioneer in person but now I surely want to!
I hear that ! My family always had the yellow Pioneers...I always liked em . Then I saw this color combo....lets just say I fell in Love :)

I don't know about smoothest but I'd say a early homelite xl is by far the worst for vibration of any saw I ever tried . Rattle your teeth out. It's heavy loud hot and would make your hands go numb if you ran it long enough . I'd have to say My farm boss is not very good on vibes either. It has a rigid feel to it

I don't know about smoothest but I'd say a early homelite xl is by far the worst for vibration of any saw I ever tried . Rattle your teeth out. It's heavy loud hot and would make your hands go numb if you ran it long enough . I'd have to say My farm boss is not very good on vibes either. It has a rigid feel to it
Ditto to that !! I have had many old Homelites ! Notice I said I had..not used !! hahahaah The Poulan Wildthing is right up there on the worst vibes too . Which is a shame..because I actually love the way they run and sound !

One of the worst for vibration and yet one of the saws I love most is a 7-10 Mac. Oddly, I ran a 7-10 and a Pioneer Farmsaw just like the one in the OP at the same time. The sheer power of the 7-10 kinda outweighed the Farmsaws better ergonomics. I liked them both, but the Mac gave me "cutters curl" that would last for hours.

I think the saw with the least vibration I've run is my Sachs Dolmar 116si. Another good one is my 028 Super. But I'm nor super sensitive to vibration, so take that with a grain of salt.

Those classical lines on that Pioneer saw are just eye candy;)
More than that, the construction of that saw really appeals to the engineer in me. I take a lot of things apart and always appreciate a good, elegant design, and the basic construction of those has it. The end result is actually deceptively simple, which is the hallmark of a good design. The complexity and hard work went into the concept and the design, not the product - and then they made it look good too. I really like how the power head mounts to the A/V system on the handle structure.

More than that, the construction of that saw really appeals to the engineer in me. I take a lot of things apart and always appreciate a good, elegant design, and the basic construction of those has it. The end result is actually deceptively simple, which is the hallmark of a good design. The complexity and hard work went into the concept and the design, not the product - and then they made it look good too. I really like how the power head mounts to the A/V system on the handle structure.
Pioneer is a great saw I learned to cut firewood with a p-51 with a 24 inch bar when I was 13. The pioneer saws are very hard to find in the area I live in, I think they are hard to get parts for but if I found a nice p-51 or 61 it would be hard to resist.

Latest posts

Back