Who's modified a 359 Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccfr63

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I think some of you guys will appreciate this story:

I walked into Lowe's the other day (to buy some wood trim) and as I was walking by the outdoor section I see an employee moving around this 359 leaking fuel everywhere. I asked what the story was and he told me that someone had just returned it because of a couple of problems, 1 being that it leaked fuel and 2 the chain kept coming off. I took the air filter cover off and could see the fuel line from the tank was almost off (hence the fuel leak) and I could see that it had an aftermarket 20" bar that was for a .325 chain. I asked for the manager and he told me he would take $100, I tried to talk him down (ha ha) but he said he could get it fixed and sell it for alot more. I asked him if I got it home and there was some serious problems if I could bring it back and he said yes! I got it home, checked the piston and cylinder (looked new) and fixed the few problems mentioned above and it runs great! Nothing like sticking it to the box stores! They should stick with selling toilets and paint.

So now I have a new 359 with the CORRECT bar and chain and only have about $160 invested! I haven't even cut any wood with it yet but I was wanting to do some light modifications before I played with it. Has anyone done anything to this model Husky? If anyone has done the muffler mod it would be great to see some pictures. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, good find on the saw! if you do a search on here (AS) for the 359 & mods, you'll find lots of information as it seems to be a popular saw on AS
I just acquired another 359 I have two now

Steal

Sounds like a great deal... as long as the "genius" who put on that .325 chain remembered to use mixed gas:clap:

get that thing modded. and you will have the "best-bang for your buck saw" you can get. If I could only have (1) saw it would be my modified 359. But, as all of us here at AS know... If you are reading at this site, you either have multiple saws, or about to buy more!!!

The 359 is aneimic stock, but responds well to mods, which usually puts it out of the running cost wise. You can afford to have a LOT done to that saw for what you have in it!!!! Nice buy!!!:clap:

I have done one with great results, probably picked up 40% in cutting speed. First thing to do is call Baileys and get a non-emmissions muffler and modify it. Then if still not happy, being that the 359 is so easy to mod because of removeable transfer port cover, I would attempt a mild port job myself. You can just clean things up alittle and remove the base gasket and get a real nice running saw. I also swapped the piston pin out for one from a Stihl 066, not sure if it helps but it is drastically lighter, everything helps!

I only opened the muffler and it makes a world of difference. I love my 359. Cut more firewood today for a good 2 hours. I always kept thinking of a bigger saw but I see no reason for one. My 359 eats everything I :greenchainsaw: throw at it!

Latest posts

Back