Whut the heck is amatter with my 2100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bret4207

Bret4207

ArboristSite Guru
Okay, so here's the story. Back in the early 80's I built up a Husky 2100CD/XP outta parts. It ran forever with not so much as a hiccup. Didn't use it for a few years and then needed it. Surprise! No spark. Changed out plug for new Bosch. Nothin'. Checked the wiring, isolated the kill wire, tried other plugs, etc...still nuthin'. Pulled flywheel, magnet seems to have good pull, cleaned everything on FW and coil up- still the same. Gotta be the coil, right? Got a used coil- NUTHIN'. So now I'm at the point where I can either sink a mess of money into a new coil (SEM) or try a different FW. Which way should I go? I've checked ground between crankcase and jug too. This thing should have spark, but I've never had a 2100 coil go bad and I've worked on a lot of them. The only 2100 FW's I ever had to replace had physical damage. The FW isn't just solid metal and the magnet. It appears to have resin on the inside surface and (maybe) some wire or some other electrical components going to an insert opposite the magnet...not sure if this is a trigger of some sort?

trappermike

trappermike

ArboristSite Guru
What model of ignition does it have in it? A Bosch electronic? Or does it have a red electronic,sometimes these ignitions got swapped around in their life. Did the used ignition you tried in it work for sure before you tried it in your saw? Also did you also use the flywheel also when you tried the other ignition? A flywheel and ignition unit cannot be mixed up with others. Maybe the used ignition you got was dead,or it needs it's matching flywheel. It was easy to mismatch those ignitions and flywheels,although different,some flywheels looked the same.

Bret4207

Bret4207

ArboristSite Guru
It's the SEM-GA ignition with the proper FW, there is no kill switch to go bad, and as I said, I isolated the wire so it can't contact the saw. I don't know if that FW has some trigger in that matches up with the coil, but the coil is a one piece unit.

Daserlon

Daserlon

ArboristSite Operative
You've been lucky on the SEM GA staying alive that long, I've got four or five dead ones stacked up in a box over the years

Keep your eye on fleabay as they come up every now & then
Amazingly enough, search husqvarna 2100 on amazom. Supposedly new oem ignition coils there. I have a dead 2100 also so i'm tryin to figure mine out too.

Grande Dog

Grande Dog

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Howdy,
Sounds like you covered the bases. One thing comes to mind is the plug wire. (I wasn't sure if you switched wires with the ignition.) I have seen the ends arc out and deteriorate the wire. Eventually the ignition it can't throw enough juice to bridge the gap. I like that you checked continuity, that can be a head scratcher the first time around. You could try loosening the cylinder bolts, and retightening to ensure it's a good ground.
Regards
Gregg