Why 13/64 on Stihl 404 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse Hunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Getting ready to do first sharpening on my 404 Stihl chain(damn tooth is a big long sucker)...13/64 what Stihl recomends or 3/8 what i use on most of my saws?

Getting ready to do first sharpening on my 404 Stihl chain(damn tooth is a big long sucker)...13/64 what Stihl recomends or 3/8 what i use on most of my saws?
That or a 7/32” works best for me, plus technically Stihl calls for 5.5mm (0.217”). A 3/8” diameter file would be way too big.

I use both 7/32,1/4 all depends on what your trying to achieve,
Squareground you say it depends on what you trying to accomplish. What do you mean by that? Does it make that big of a difference? I just assumed close was close enough but I’m by far no expert. Just cut up firewood for the winters.

Squareground you say it depends on what you trying to accomplish. What do you mean by that? Does it make that big of a difference? I just assumed close was close enough but I’m by far no expert. Just cut up firewood for the winters.
Ur angles of attack and how aggressive of a hook your looking for in round chain , depending on the conditions and wood ur cutting, One example, large radial arc with 1/4 file , and it removes material really quickly , for tough wood and or conditions sorry for blur pic IMG_1591.jpeg

Ur angles of attack and how aggressive of a hook your looking for in round chain , depending on the conditions and wood ur cutting, One example, large radial arc with 1/4 file , and it removes material really quickly , for tough wood and or conditions sorry for blur pic View attachment 1163007
Can you give more examples please. Not that I would use different files for what I do, but I like learning when possible. I figured the depth of cut would stop it from hogging out more material.
Let me also ask this, if a chain is sharpened with too small a file, would it pull out finer chips instead of a good shaving?

Can you give more examples please. Not that I would use different files for what I do, but I like learning when possible. I figured the depth of cut would stop it from hogging out more material.
Let me also ask this, if a chain is sharpened with too small a file, would it pull out finer chips instead of a good shaving?
Ur rakers or depth gauges, are critical and over looked, to the less experienced, but play a major role in the chain performance, to low chain becomes to aggressive and grabbing, not low enough chain runs on top of wood not biting into wood with cutters , A decent round cutting filed with 7/32 , A square filed.404 ex, that’s a whole different subject, IMG_1694.jpegIMG_1911.jpeg

Latest posts

Back