Why a bow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never? Never never ever?

Uh Ok, your damn good.

that's what I was thinking.

Nice saw you got there. I picked up a 266xp with a 20" bow on it. I'll eventually get it back together and use it. I know these were used by pulpwood cutters, so what's the optimum size logs to cut with a bow? Under 20"? :msp_unsure:

that's what I was thinking.

Nice saw you got there. I picked up a 266xp with a 20" bow on it. I'll eventually get it back together and use it. I know these were used by pulpwood cutters, so what's the optimum size logs to cut with a bow? Under 20"? :msp_unsure:

Yea, I'd say about 20". Thanks. You can run them in the dirt, but it's a lot easier to keep it out than a bar.

Usually we have 2 landing saws per landing crumby, 1 w/ a bow bar and the other a regular long bar to buck logs w/ identical saws, I usually keep another saw hidden in my truck that is sharp and mine....They usually all run Monday and by Friday we may be down to a dull branding hammer to limb with.

Skunk ape! Video evidence of a Louisiana skunk ape!

Cool vid Red. I have a bow with no toe on it...think you could post a closeup of yours, so I could try to make one up? It looks like it wouldn't be much use without one. - Z

Skunk ape! Video evidence of a Louisiana skunk ape!

As soon as get back to the dry land I will.You are correct, without the toe, it's not very effective. Skunk ape! hahaha

Cool vid Red. I have a bow with no toe on it...think you could post a closeup of yours, so I could try to make one up? It looks like it wouldn't be much use without one. - Z

As soon as get back to the dry land I will.You are correct, without the toe, it's not very effective. Skunk ape! hahaha, thanks for watching.Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

As soon as get back to the dry land I will.You are correct, without the toe, it's not very effective. Skunk ape! hahaha, thanks for watching.Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I appreciate it Red. Stay safe out there!

I don't see how that can be made stiff enough. What's the little hook thangy for on the bottom. That's a healthy sounding 10 10 btw.

Thanks, that's my favorite saw, it was a junkstore basket case when I got it. The little hook is for keeping the chain out of the dirt and I guess you'd say leverage when you are cutting. Stiffness has never been an issue.What I use the bow for mostly is bucking with the front edge of the bow.It's not flimsy by any means. But keep in mind, the arch is one of the strongest structures made.

Speaking as one injured by a bow saw and one who grew up in the deep south where bows used to be more common in the woods than straight bar or blade equipped saw (and yes, straight bars were commonly referred to as "blades"), to compare the kickback of a bar saw to a bow saw is like comparing the punch of a 10 year old to that of a prize fighter. Product liability lawsuits led to the saw manufacturers getting out of the business and some adding to their OMs language stating that their saws were not designed for bows and bows should not be used on their saws. I don't know the actual ratio of decapitations and other deaths by bow versus bar but I am sure it would be a big multiple. Other than the danger, they are fun and productive. But I'll never recommend one for regular use. Nor for toying with by the casual user. FWIW mine when on the shelf after my injury and has never been run since - been over 30 years now. Ron

I've seen people discuss bow saws on here, but never understood their use.
As I understand it, bows were used extensively in the pulp industry where they needed to buck a lot of logs quickly and with less operator fatigue. I don't know if it was specificlly designed for this purpose though.

Back