Why am I soaking my chains in oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Again why? Just got the saw and chains and read a few times on here that they should be soaked in oil before used. Well wasn't planning on using the saw right way and had a 2 year old open quart of PWC oil so I did it, but why?

Because you have too much time on your hands? Read to much on this site?

Won't hurt anything, so do it if you want.

Again why? Just got the saw and chains and read a few times on here that they should be soaked in oil before used. Well wasn't planning on using the saw right way and had a 2 year old open quart of PWC oil so I did it, but why?

maybe the new chain needs oiling and if you run it right away and oiler isn`t adjusted for a while will run dry or dryer; this way until everything in place nothing bad can happen...I think they are taking precaution measures. I also think it`ll be ok to run it on your saw without soak.

this is just an attempt to deduction; don`t know for a fact. we should hear some experts in the matter.
cheers.

mine are already oiled out of the box

I only run Stihl chain, but they seem pretty well lubed out of the box, so I never oil them. I used to put them in oil and let them drip dry after grinding, but don't do that anymore either. I've had no issues with them.

Some of the pros on AS will have tons more experience than me though.

If you don't pre-soak your chain, then your saw has more lubricating to do when you first run that chain. All the joints and surfaces of a chain will at least have a coating of oil on them. Soaking the chains eliminates the need for oil from your saw to do this work. Keeps the chain from running dry for the start of your cut. I don't think it makes a noticeable difference, but just in theory seems to make sense.

I would recommend this step, especially if you are using a brand new chainsaw. I had the tip wheel lock up on both of my saws within a few hours of use, and had to work them free/lube them up. Even the 'no lube' stihl bar wheel locked up. Pre-oiling the chain isn't a bad idea.

Along with what D&B Mack wrote - why not?

I've had one chain that was "set aside new" for years and felt kind of stiff, wasn't rusted.

But then I also like to soak mine after sharpening and prior to hanging for next usage.

I guess I am not with it. The only chains I soak in oil is the ones that have fallen behind the bench and I find some time latter,and have rusted the links a little.Usually I just hit them with WD40 and work them until they are pretty free. I then put them on the saw,after about 30 seconds and a quick cut through wood,and retightening they are good to go. After 45 years of cutting I tend to find one like that about every couple of years or so. I also never had one break doing that.

I soak mine then wipe them off and put them up in oil-clothe. I don't soak them in PWC oil, but bar oil.

Why am I soaking my chains in oil?

I have no idea, I have somewhere around 40+ chains maybe more, had one of the guys make more for a new job we have going and I haven't found a reason to soak chains in anything. Put them on saw, spin them around for a few seconds and you should have a soaked chain.

Thats what we do,

Sam

It may not be needed but when I use a new bar.
For the first time I use a dab of gun grease on the rails and groove of bar.
It just makes me feel better :)

New chains, I do run saw for a bit before cutting any wood
to get chain lubed up.

TT

Many yr. ago, someone told me I should soak chains in oil [clean them first if needed], let them drip a while afterwards.

I thought, that makes sense [though I'd never had any trouble before]. I tested a chain. It was such a mess to reinstall, oily as heck, I never did it again. I have never had any problem. So, I can't see how it needs to be done. I live in an area of low humidity and no ocean air, and perhaps more protection from rust/corrosion would be needed somewhere else. There is oil on all my chains from regular use, though, so I doubt it is needed except in maybe sea coast areas. Maybe.

Pioneer suggested pretty strongly that you should soak a chain in solvent before and after sharpening, then soak it in oil.

Sounds sort of obsessive for an individual to do, probably no big deal for a backshop of a big felling operation back in the day. Back then, there were no, or few, automatic chain oilers, either.

Remember chainsaws , bars and chains are very delicate and not intended for rough out door use be very gentle with them. I dont bother and chains last just fine. Only chains Ive had with short life were broken cutters, rocked, or drive links from being thrown. Never had a chain where I thought if I had just soaked it in oil it would have lasted longer.

Latest posts

Back