Why an axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's gonna use a hammer he could at least buy a wedge hammer. An engineers hammer is no substitute for a 3lb deadblow hammer with nylon heads.
And then there's the whole unnecessary borecutting thing he did..:bang:

Deadblow or engineers , I'll stick with the axe , 2 tools in 1 .

Deadblow or engineers , I'll stick with the axe , 2 tools in 1 .

I agree, an axe is a real handy thing to have, especially working with big trees. I have a hammer that sits in my wedge pouch and I've found that it'll do the trick for driving wedges 95% of the time and saves me carrying an axe all the time. When I think I'll need more, I take an axe.

I couldn't help but notice that this instructional video was for "large" trees. I don't know what he would call the old oaks we cut for firewood around here much less how he would describe some of those little West Coast evergreens pictured on AS.

Maybe he was demonstrating what he would do if the tree actually was a big tree?

quite an edyacation, that video. new gear and all.
won't waste time making comments on the saw work or cuts or the coffee break-nap time at the stump, just chillin.

it's probly an iPud thing, that went over my hard head.
speaking of hard head, his is a little soft or well be someday from not looking up.
not even a quickie sideways glance.

there's more up top to worry about than nesting owls and a bigfoot swinging around.

amazing stuff, Darwin.

Sideways balance becomes extremely important when striking wedges using either hammers or axes.

I always carried and used a single bit, more often than not, a Pulaski too.
Whatever, use what you choose.

Picture019.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

finger.jpg

I always have with me an axe, an 8 lb sledge hammer, a 3 lb drilling hammer, wedges, rope, and anything else that I think I might need if something could go wrong. I am just a hacker, but that is me. Better to have it with you and not need it, rather than not have it with you and need it. ;)

I like how the detractors don't have to carry their tools. If they did, they would use one tool (single bit axe) just like those that do have to carry their tools.

The lack of logic or common sense or foresight behind some of these posts is absurd. How can a person fear carrying an axe when it is a support tool for the chainsaw, which isn't exactly the safest tool in the bag, LOL, or they can't understand how one set of people use a single bit axe for wedging and cutting out a saw, because we can't carry our utility shed to every tree we cut??!!??!!??

Sam

Thanks Slamm, a good post. I could not have stated this thought with showing my distrust of several members and that would not be a good thing. I will say it appears most of the posts are from people who have never ventured far from the safety of the truck. I guess when you only cut firewood that makes sense.

I always carried and used a single bit, more often than not, a Pulaski too.
Whatever, use what you choose.

Picture019.jpg

Says the guy who is clearly using too large a saw for that tree. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

On the Pulaski thing -- when chainsaws were big and heavy, and you had to run them flat so the carbs would function. . . They made three stepped cuts for the face. They would modify a double-bit to look similar to a Pulaski and use it to chip the face out. :msp_smile:

I like how the detractors don't have to carry their tools. If they did, they would use one tool (single bit axe) just like those that do have to carry their tools.

The lack of logic or common sense or foresight behind some of these posts is absurd. How can a person fear carrying an axe when it is a support tool for the chainsaw, which isn't exactly the safest tool in the bag, LOL, or they can't understand how one set of people use a single bit axe for wedging and cutting out a saw, because we can't carry our utility shed to every tree we cut??!!??!!??

Sam

It must be hard carrying that skidder around with you all day..:cool2:

Hmm, maybe it's just me, but I could handle a hammer that carries me, rather than the other way around....

[video=youtube_share;P088bMP7jq0]http://youtu.be/P088bMP7jq0[/video]

1.Back cut too low
2.Chain too dull(I like how he saws it back and forth though)
3.He forgot his axe
4.Way too much work for a diddly tree
5.Most importantly-saw is the wrong colour.;)

I've got a 2 1/2 lb and a 3 1/2 lb axe to use depending on tree size. I want to pick up a 5 lb too. If it's small fence trees I'll carry the small axe since it's a lot shorter. When you start walking 1/2 mile down a fence row knocking trees over at shoulder level you don't want to carry any more than you have to.

quite an edyacation, that video. new gear and all.
won't waste time making comments on the saw work or cuts or the coffee break-nap time at the stump, just chillin.

it's probly an iPud thing, that went over my hard head.
speaking of hard head, his is a little soft or well be someday from not looking up.
not even a quickie sideways glance.

there's more up top to worry about than nesting owls and a bigfoot swinging around.

amazing stuff, Darwin.

Is there such a thing as a malpractice suit for a flawed "safety video? Maybe there should be !
I dont cut trees for a living but what that guy is doing seems just plain wrong.
I would love to read a thread about this video alone, as to what he might be doing wrong from guys that have done it at least a few years ....and survived.
A logger/arborist without muddy shoes? I dont think so....probably works for an insurance company, (and they dont make PPE gear
that will protect you from a collision with a bouncing tree or a falling limb

Your comment reminds me of something recent tho. My son was watching me drop a dead oak tree that had been dead a couple years.
My son is 14 and going thru the "smart a$$" years.
Before I started cutting the tree , I took my skid loader,raised the bucket about 6 feet and smacked into the tree hard a couple times.
My son looked at me as though I was nuts and said dad .....are you trying to push that tree over or something?
I said to him.....remember that tree you were shakeing (3inch oak) a couple months ago that dropped a piece of rotten wood on you?
He said yeah.(damn lucky he wasnt hurt)
No further explanation was needed.
(The skid loader has a sturdy ROPS cage on it)

Is there such a thing as a malpractice suit for a flawed "safety video? Maybe there should be !
I dont cut trees for a living but what that guy is doing seems just plain wrong.
I would love to read a thread about this video alone, as to what he might be doing wrong from guys that have done it at least a few years ....and survived.
A logger/arborist without muddy shoes? I dont think so....probably works for an insurance company, (and they dont make PPE gear
that will protect you from a collision with a bouncing tree or a falling limb

Your comment reminds me of something recent tho. My son was watching me drop a dead oak tree that had been dead a couple years.
My son is 14 and going thru the "smart a$$" years.
Before I started cutting the tree , I took my skid loader,raised the bucket about 6 feet and smacked into the tree hard a couple times.
My son looked at me as though I was nuts and said dad .....are you trying to push that tree over or something?
I said to him.....remember that tree you were shakeing (3inch oak) a couple months ago that dropped a piece of rotten wood on you?
He said yeah.(damn lucky he wasnt hurt)
No further explanation was needed.
(The skid loader has a sturdy ROPS cage on it)

I'd be interested to know what you thought he was doing so wrong, or dangerously or whatever. Only things I picked up on were not looking up at all and he probably could've done with a bit of stump shot on that backcut.
All the other shagging around (bore cut etc) is kinda unnecessary but would hardly justify a malpractice suit :laugh:

Muddy boots don't mean you're working either, any fool can get dirty

I can't wait for the day when I see a man pounding wedges with a little orange hammer. This is really a strange question.. like asking "why take a fishing rod fishing?"

Back