Why do I keep trying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_MA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Though I know that my local Stihl dealer sucks for anything but oil and buying new saws why oh why do I keep trying to get parts from them? I guess I just like to keep giving them the chance, and they keep failing miserably!! Well, last night was the LAST time I'm going to give them the chance...

Needing a few things at the hardware store anyway, I figured while I was there I would see if by chance they happen to have a clutch drum in stock. I knew that it would be a fat chance, but figured "what could it hurt"?

After browsing the closeout section and grabbing a couple pair of gloves at a good deal, I made my way to the parts counter. I told the guy at the counter that I needed a clutch drum for a Stihl 066. His ineptitude shined through right away when he couldn't get the parts manual to pull up on the computer, then when he finally brought it up he couldn't find the right page. I handed him a slip of paper and said, "if this helps, this is the part # I need". So he finally locates the correct page, then tells me to hold on, he has to get the "expert" small engine mechanic from the back. Out hobbles this REAL old guy and I though at first "I bet this guy knows his stuff" Well the expert tells me that the clutch drum is not available as a separate part, and that if I need one, I will have to buy the entire oil pump and clutch assembly to get one. I told him that wasn't true THEN he asks me what saw it's for. When I tell him, he says "You should count your blessing that there are ANY parts available for that, no one even uses those old saws any more"

I just walked away, and I wasn't going to do anything else, but on my way out I saw the owners son. I handed him the slip of paper with the clutch drum part # on it, and told him that until he can figure out why the crochety old men behind the parts counter wanted to charge me almost $300 for this part I will be taking ALL of my chainsaw business to (insert competitor name here) and walked away.

I'm done dealing with these jokers. It just sucks that the good dealer that knows all the parts off the top of his head and when you ask him for something he just walks into the back room and is back in less than 30 seconds with the part in his hand is 40 minutes away.

Ok, rant over

As a reply to the OP. They refer to this as the battered womens syndrom, You keep comming back hoping for something to change. But alas it never does, Some learn a little harder than others.

The local to me shop is decent. they have had parts for my older saws so far when I have needed them, (025, 026 and 044) Mostly common wear parts but they had them in stock. If you need me to get a part for you Adam pm me.

That's too bad.. my local saw dealer either has the part in stock or can order it and have it 2 days. And it takes about 20 seconds for them to figure out what I need when I say "ya know, that little do-hicky that goes behind the what'cha ma callit". :)

i have the EXACT same problem with the local dealer,,i am changing dealers,might have to drive 40 miles round trip but that guy doesn't have to look numbers up,,,he knows the parts offf the top of his head,,wiggs knows what dealer i am having problems with and the dealer i am getting my parts from from now on in murray,,,,

The closest Stihl dealer to me is the same way! I went in one day and asked if they could just tune my Husky 346xp. I explained that I was going to buy and change out the muffler and the coil, and then bring it to them and pay the labor to tune it for me. His reply was "we can't get parts for Huskys". Once again I said I would buy and replace the parts and all I needed was the carb adjusted, and once again his reply was "we just can't get parts for them". Have not been back and won't. I bought my files, oil, and all my misc hardware I needed from there. I was going to do something I never do and buy a ms261 from them but I have now found another dealer thats just a few more miles down the road and they deal in Husky, Stihl and hardware and will work on any small engine whatever brand. They truly try to find what you want and really care about your business. It is well worth driving the extra distance to get there.

Cuz you like a good challenge in life. What fun would it be if you could just go online and order all you chainsaw parts and have them delivered to your door?? That would be like having an “easy button”. Yankees is tough. Good on you for at least giving it the old hey Wossamotta U college try.

The owner of a small mower shop near me that has been around forever is what some might consider to be a Colorful Cantankerous Old Codger.

I consider him to be an :censored:.

its funny though. The dealer near the city where i work just doesn't want to sell anything. he gets annoyed if you ask him for a part or want to check out a saw. but...there is a dealer up near where i live, out near nowhere, and he is great. i call or stop by for something for my 051, and he just says "oh man, how does that thing run? is it in good shape? that's great you got that old tank and it is still going for ya, let me dive and out back and see what i can find for ya" -he actually shows some excitement.

local dealer has GENUINE STHIL screnches marked @ 11.99....WOW:jawdrop::msp_scared: thats why I now drive 25min.

its funny though. The dealer near the city where i work just doesn't want to sell anything. he gets annoyed if you ask him for a part or want to check out a saw. but...there is a dealer up near where i live, out near nowhere, and he is great. i call or stop by for something for my 051, and he just says "oh man, how does that thing run? is it in good shape? that's great you got that old tank and it is still going for ya, let me dive and out back and see what i can find for ya" -he actually shows some excitement.

It sounds like the person that waited on you in the first example doesn't actually own the business and the second one does. Or the first one is awfully dumb.

I was trying to get some 26RSC67 from my local dealer. He didn't know the difference between RMC and RSC. After I found it for him in his book and proved that it existed he ordered it for me. I stopped in 6 different times over a month and a half and it never showed up. I always got some excuse and couldn't get him to follow up on it. I stopped by the dealer in the next town over and they had it in stock. Needless to say, I will be taking my business there from now on.

Jeez, you guys have it rough. I have to work just to avoid seeing a Stihl sign or 20 on my way to work. I thought they gave out Stihl dealerships with every happy meal as thick as they are around here.

Only have one Dolmar dealer, but some days that's one too many :D

There is one guy I like to deal with at my local dealer and thats it. Seems like everyone else always has some stupid comment. I hate when I buy something and they ask what its for and I tell them and they have a stupid comment after that. I was looking for muffler mod parts at one dealer/hardware store and the guy was like that will hurt the performance you dont want to do that.
I was at another dealer and was buying new limiter caps and a puller and one of the guys said we make money off guys like you. Saying they lean them out and blow them up then they get the work to repair it.

There is one guy I like to deal with at my local dealer and thats it. Seems like everyone else always has some stupid comment. I hate when I buy something and they ask what its for and I tell them and they have a stupid comment after that. I was looking for muffler mod parts at one dealer/hardware store and the guy was like that will hurt the performance you dont want to do that.
I was at another dealer and was buying new limiter caps and a puller and one of the guys said we make money off guys like you. Saying they lean them out and blow them up then they get the work to repair it.

Jay you need to stop by Dewar equipment over here in my neck of the woods. They've been in business since the 50's and Don Dewar jr knows his stuff. They have tons of parts in stock for old and new equipment + Don will talk your ear off about OPE.

Jay you need to stop by Dewar equipment over here in my neck of the woods. They've been in business since the 50's and Don Dewar jr knows his stuff. They have tons of parts in stock for old and new equipment + Don will talk your ear off about OPE.

Ill have to check it out I sent you a PM.

Latest posts

Back