Why Do Stihl Saws Cost SO Much More?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe your theory. But from everything I've read, the chain adjuster is the difference. Does one adjust from the front and one from the clutch cover? I'll check when I go to the shop

Mine is a single bar stud with the adjuster on the side I believe. I don't recall seeing a 450 rancher when I bought mine 6 years ago. There was the 455 and the 460 rancher and those had adjustable oilers. I think there's a 465 now.

That site is quite funny.
I did some other reading and looked at the huskys site, I have no idea what the difference is if there is one, but they do show the 450 as being lighter than the 450 rancher.
Mine must have all been the ranchers as they were about the same as a 353 lol.
The 353 is a mag case saw like the 346XP.

NYH1.

The 353 is a mag case saw like the 346XP.

NYH1.
Correct, I've owned a good number of those too. There was a couple versions of them for sure, the early model didn't have a primer.
Mine is a single bar stud with the adjuster on the side I believe. I don't recall seeing a 450 rancher when I bought mine 6 years ago. There was the 455 and the 460 rancher and those had adjustable oilers. I think there's a 465 now.
There are 455 and 460 ranchers, not sure if the 465 is a rancher, but it is an autotune saw and I'd like to try one.

I do believe your theory. But from everything I've read, the chain adjuster is the difference. Does one adjust from the front and one from the clutch cover? I'll check when I go to the shop
There is a 450E that has the electric start,

Joking, it has easy start and the toolless chain adjuster.
Still unsure of an of the finer details between the rancher and the other one.

Correct, I've owned a good number of those too. There was a couple versions of them for sure, the early model didn't have a primer.

There are 455 and 460 ranchers, not sure if the 465 is a rancher, but it is an autotune saw and I'd like to try one.

Here we go again Chippy ole boy lol The 455, 460 and 465 are Ranchers.

20180518_210143_crop_1001x314.jpg

They must be really torquey though. A 24" bar with only 3.7 hp. A 261 makes 4.0 hp and it's only 50cc, but I wouldn't dream of putting anything over 20" on one.

Never had a Rancher, I'm not a Farm Boss, or a Homeowner = "Live in a Condo" ?

All in all. Top selling saws. Operator dependent. Will accommodate. Dangerous as hell. Longevity, may last beyond? ...View attachment 653042 View attachment 653043 View attachment 653044 View attachment 653045 "Husqvarna's, still a Personal fav imo." ... Great Dealers Tech's on Both Sides.
Try one, you won't go back:laughing:. I've got other saws for when I move into a condo LOL.
They are great firewood saws for most guys. I run them all.as well, but the huskys are my favorite too.
Dolmar should be shipping Monday as well as the 353, the 660 shipped last month, I ran that one for a couple yrs with a 36 for large removals.
IMG_20180514_181826927.jpg IMG_20180518_200655239.jpg IMG_20180327_174511039.jpg

I ain't prejudice against saws, I like all colors. now what did I do to give you a hard time? I'm old and forgetful,:( but I sorry if I did.
Good to hear, just that screen name ;).
It wasn't bad, just more razzing, don't remember, I been in one or two threads :dizzy:, just remember getting razzed(I'm forgetful too, gonna be bad when I'm old:laughing:), but your forgiven. If not I would have sent a PM, I try hard to "keep peace with all men as far as it's up to me" :yes:.

Good to hear, just that screen name ;).
It wasn't bad, just more razzing, don't remember, I been in one or two threads :dizzy:, just remember getting razzed(I'm forgetful too, gonna be bad when I'm old:laughing:), but your forgiven. If not I would have sent a PM, I try hard to "keep peace with all men as far as it's up to me" :yes:.
Stihl's all we got here, but I will change it to Dolmar sawing or Husky sawing if's you will me one. and if'n you put me on the will for both I will never say another bad word about you. It will always be" you are awesome and a true friend":rock: I don't get any notifications for threads so I truly forget where I posted. Ok I shut up now.

View attachment 653771 BC's Faller's Standard ... 390xp. Personal Fav. "To the Contrary"View attachment 653773 View attachment 653772

Man I bet those saws in the living room really get the lady's excited when they come over. lol

I had know idea this thread would get this long. I just noticed that we have a lot of used Stihls for sale and I would of thought they would be cheaper since there is so many of them. Supply and demand. More used saws for sale the cheaper they sale for. But not the case. I guess I will keep running my Husky's since they are making me money.

Back