Why don`t you guys like Champion plugs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pwr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had a chainsaw worked on by a friend. The first thing he did was pull the almost new champion plug and replace it with a Bosch. It seems that and NKG are highly nthought of. Why not Champion or for thar matter any other plug that has been around forever and used happily in millions of engines? Why not chainsaws?

I have champions in my McC. But its only a PM6 so no one would care :D

Personally I like NGK's.
I don't dislike Champions, I just like the NGK's based on their past performance in all my gadgets. I have never had any adverse issue with NGK plugs. They also have a great tech. info. dept. ! The tech. on the phone was very polite and knowledgeable of his products.

While I've never had any issues with the champion plugs, I prefer to have an NGK in a saw. the Champion is fine, but I just like NGK, or Bosch plugs better for whatever reason.

4pwr said:
r plug that has been around forever and used happily in millions of engines?

Not so happily in my experience as an auto mechanic. Champions are the only plugs that have ever broken off leaving the threads behind in the head in the thousands I've changed. It's only happened to me a half dozen times but it usually means having to remove the head to keep metal shavings out of the motor during the extraction process. Often enough so that I'll never use them and wish Dodge would quit using them. I'll admit I haven't had a problem with them for 10 or 12 years now, but have been bit too often in the past to get over it.

medcave said:
Not so happily in my experience as an auto mechanic. Champions are the only plugs that have ever broken off leaving the threads behind in the head in the thousands I've changed. It's only happened to me a half dozen times but it usually means having to remove the head to keep metal shavings out of the motor during the extraction process. Often enough so that I'll never use them and wish Dodge would quit using them. I'll admit I haven't had a problem with them for 10 or 12 years now, but have been bit too often in the past to get over it.

I had similar expierences when I was turning wrenches on cars, but I have not had the problem on small engines...

Back in the old days of snomobiling, Champion got a pretty bad reputation...they didn't have as many heat ranges available, or their quality control wasn't all that great. Keep in mind that the mid-'60's to mid-'70's two-strokes were plug eaters no matter what went into 'em. Just about everybody experimented with different plugs in their sleds, and developed favorites...NGK, Bosch, BG, Beru, Nippondenso, even AC, Autolite and Champion got tried if they had a heat range close to what was "supposed" to be required.

NGK and Bosch had the widest approval rating for fouling resistance.

I think Champion still has a lot of holes in its line-up for oddball applications. But for plain-vanilla uses, like my Ford pickup, they do fine. I also use them in most of my small-engine stuff because they are easily available and cheap. There isn't any reason for it, but retailers capitalize on NGK's reputation in my area by overcharging. The plug for most of my chain saws in Champion is about $1.50...why does the same store want $3.25 for an NGK?

I began using NGK on snowmobiles years back,because they were less prone to fouling than Champion.I keep using NGK since those days on every small engine i got now.

What eyolf said applies for me. Back in the 70's when I raced Mac powered karts I couldn't make Champ plugs live worth a squat but NGK's seemed to last forever. That's where my favoring NGK's developed but even today, if a engine (either 2 or 4 cycle) comes to the shop with a dead plug that is almost new, it's almost always a Champ that the owner put in it.

NevadaWalrus said:
if a engine (either 2 or 4 cycle) comes to the shop with a dead plug that is almost new, it's almost always a Champ that the owner put in it.

The reminds me, the last time I had a bad new Champion like that come in the shop, I broke it open and found the coil resistor was missing. Poor quality control.

i used to go through champion plugs constantly in small engines (chainsaws included) i switched to bosch and have never looked back. the orig bosch plug is still in my 036 Pro.. 5 years now! just finally changed the sparkplug in my husky 288 after 4 years. and these saws have been used HARD! the 288 had done its fare share of milling when i had my alaskan mill and was making 27" wide fir planks for dumptruck sideboards. i think they were about 28ft long and around 3-4" thick. that has got to say something for both the saw and the plugs.

I seem to have trouble with Bosch plugs breaking in the head. I also find that around here they're considerably overhyped and hence overpriced. Never had problems with NGK in anything, don't have much experience with Champion. A couple of my trucks burn an amazing amount of oil, and I run the cheapest plugs I can find in them, usually Autolites.

I was told long ago by a (78yr) old Parts store Owner that NGK and Bosch were hotter and had a heavier built electrode and better porcelain. His list was #1 NGK #2 Bosch #3 champion#4 AC Delco, but like he would say "what do I know" I've only been sellen um fer 50 odd years. So all I buy
is NGK period. :)

Mike E.

Last edited:
4pwr said:
Had a chainsaw worked on by a friend. The first thing he did was pull the almost new champion plug and replace it with a Bosch. It seems that and NKG are highly nthought of. Why not Champion or for thar matter any other plug that has been around forever and used happily in millions of engines? Why not chainsaws?

Champions do lack quality sometimes, but for the most part, they are a decent plug IF they are an EXACT replacement plug for the engine. My Polaris sled motor is designed to run a Champion plug. While there is an NGK plug that will work, the motor does perform best with the Champion. The average person might not be able to tell, but being the tweeker I am, I can tell. I think you find the same thing on the other side of the spectrum. If a motor is designed for NGK or another plug, the Champion just won't perform as well. My Stihls come with NGK's, therefore, IMO, there is no other plug for them.

Then again, there are some who just become brand bias, no matter what the product is. Be it a car, chainsaw, or spark plug.

NGK!!! I used Champion out of the box in my John Deere 318 garden tractor, 2 sets fouled, pieces of crap!!! Switched to NGK's no problems period!

I use Bosch plugs in the small brushcutter a NGK in the hedgecutter. All the chiansaws are on champions can't really tell much diffrence between them, only thing i would say the NGK that was in the small brushcutter <1 year ond was pants. Changed it to a Bocsh and it runs great. The hedgecutter is a pig to start and that runs an NGK. Time to change it to one of the others.

Latest posts

Back