Why dont more people use wood furnaces???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hope is to have some type of system in place in the next couple of years. However, I do not have a reliable source of cheap/firewood to make the investment cost-effective. My wife laughs at the amount of time I am spending to secure firewood sources, buying equipment, etc. She gets pretty quiet when I ask her to tell me the last time our heating bill went down and when I show her some of the posts on this site that mention how little some of you have spent on fuel oil, natural gas, etc.

2 year old house. 1850 SF. Well insulated, Tyvek, 54 insulated glass windows. Hearthstone "Mansfield" woodburning stove with propane 95% efficient furnace, propane range and hot water heater. $400 propane bill last year. Free wood.

I think it is ignorance to answer your initial question. I ve had wood stoves and recently a 4500$ insert up until 5 months ago when I got fed up w the vtcstgs insert and all the false claims that came w it. I bought the bigger of the 2 US stoves Clayton. It was on sale for 1200$. It had a dent and I talked it to 1k$. A friend Heat and Coolg Co. installed it for 1200$ and that included a humidifier. I am in heaven. Keeps house at 74 when it is 15 out and windows are steamed up making the old lady happy. I ve been ignorant of them for almost 40 years but now that I got one I too cannot see why no one else uses them.

Latest posts

Back