Why I Don't File

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to find a 120V socket sticking out the side of a tree in the woods. . .

Hand files & saw chains go together very well. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to find a 120V socket sticking out the side of a tree in the woods. . .

Hand files & saw chains go together very well. . . .

I agree mate but not all of us have to carry a saw for miles into the woods. I rarely have my vehicle more than 150 yards away. I file sometimes but also swap out to freshly ground chains regularly. If I was in your shoes on relatively clean wood that doesn't have a habit of wrecking my chains I'd be filing just like yourself.

I may get flamed but here it goes...

A lot of people that "think" they can file actually can't. They have a blunt chain, they run a file over it, the chain cuts better, so they think they're experts.
If I had a dollar for every chain I've sharpened for a customer who thinks they know what they're doing but have had angles and depth guages all over the shop I'd be a millionare (well, a thousandaire!).
Guys like Bob (BobL) deserve credit because he files, runs a mill with long bars, and gets good cuts. Bad filing rarely is obvious on shorter (say 20") bars. Start running longer bars over 32" in large wood and those crooked cuts from inconsistent angles really show up.
I'm sure 20% of guys here know what they're doing, 70% "think" they know what they're doing, but only 10% are man enough to admit they don't know what they're doing ;)

all right!!! I'm in the top 10%:blob2::biggrinbounce2::blob4::monkey:

Latest posts

Back