Why i set the chain brake when walking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjake

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I dont know why i kinda got in the habit of hitting the brake when moving
around .Well sun we cut a big ash went back yesterday to buck up some
more and it was in a row of honeysuckles i had a 250 cutting the small
limbs. When i stepped my feet were totally wrapped in these honeysuckles.

I fell and the saw bar hit the tree and came back and hit me in the chest.
I had a jacket on. Put a small cut in it but if the brake wasn't on i don't
know what would have happened .As it takes a few seconds for the chain to
stop .

It sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I think chain brakes are a good thing, but I only have 1 saw with it. I use the chain brake all the time...I guess out of habit which is good. Glad to hear you are ok.

If I am not cutting, the brake's on (snap of the wrist). That's the way I was taught, and now it's unconscious habit.

Last edited:
I just came back from cutting a load of wood, as I was running very low on dry burnable wood . I was cutting small dead standing pine 6''/12'' as I made my way through hundreds of blown down green trees, yep walking on the bigger ones to stay out of the snow and I do have caulks on my boots. I took a nasty fall blew the wind out of me as I hit the tree on the ground.
I actually shut my saw off if I have to move through stuff like that and I am glad I did. But I think us non Stihl users shut the saw off as we know it will start in 1 pull? Just having some fun with that last comment:)
But even if the chain ain't moving it is still sharp so the saw went one way and I the other I kinda tossed it as I knew I was going down.

It's a great feature that should be used for reasons just like that. I use mine like that myself.

Don't tell anyone in here...these guys can be so judgemental. But I do it for short periods of time in the tree with it hanging on me running. :chainsawguy:

If I am not cutting, the brake's on (snap of the wrist). That's the way I was taught, and now it's unconscious habit.
I think because I started on saw's with out a break I tend to shut my saw off when I have to move through brush, better safe than sorry! But I am getting used to using the brake too.I even tested it today as per user manual!

Glad to hear you are OK. I use the chain brake all the time or when on very rough ground I shut the saw down. I posted pics 6 months back of when I fell on my saw and got branded by the muffler. The scar is still there.

Anyone have a chainbrake for an 041AV? I backed up with the 041 not running and fell backwards over some limbs... luckily it didn't land on me.

Mark

I use the brake any time I take more than a few steps. I figure that using the brake regularly will allow me to know if and when it breaks (no pun intended). I want to know that the brake will function in the event of a kickback.

it's a taught technique over here to use the brake whenever you're not actually cutting.

Glad you're okay matey, work safe.

:computer: Ain't a bad idea to train yourself to use it when starting a saw too. And no it isn't hard on the saw.

Back