why is my wood growing shrooms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a similar strain of fungi growing on some standing dead elm I harvested about 6 weeks ago. No fungi before it was stacked ... although it has been very humid and damp lately :dunno:

View attachment 249821

Big L,

Your dead elm looks like it's still pretty wet inside here and there.
I bet as soon as the rounds dry right out so will the fungi.

I think on your elm just a last gasp for the fungi to try and set spoors.

certified106,

Your stacks are similiar to mine.
I cut most of my wood either 12" or 16" so a stack can be 3 or 4 wide.
I stack on pallets with pallets on each end 1/2 full cord , a little 45 piece to hold pallets together and a couple long screws at the ends.
Walking room between each end and each pallet set.
I fork the entire 1/2 cord right to a leantoo with a big door beside the house when needed, just a few steps indoors to the woodstove.

Hate moving wood more than needed :)

I get a few of those. Are they soft and mushy or kind of hard and dense? The ones I see on my pile are very dense. I think they grow when it rains a lot and conditns are right. They seem to dry out once the wood dries out and then they don't continue growing nor do they shrink or fall off If the pieces they are growing on are dry and the wood isn't getting mushy then I wouldn't worry about it. Of course getting the wood off the ground is a good idea.

It looks like free btus to me.

well i cut the mullbeery tree up some just before stacking the white birch. but i bet your going to tell me the ash is stacked too tight. just for referance its about three feet from the edge of the barn. Most wind come from the west across mainly open fields (corn right now). the unsplit oak pile is on the west side of the stacked as for referance.
2012-08-16_19-53-16_528.jpg

2012-08-21_19-22-33_258.jpg

Looks like you got some work ahead of you, Looks like fun :msp_thumbup:

wow aaron that is a crapload of wood.

last year i heated the house with 8 face cord of wood from december till spring. it was warm all winter though. this winter i expect to need about 16 face as a guestimate. (only my second year doing this) that stacked ash is about 32 face cord. ive got about 25 -30 face of oak and maple to split and 2 face of ash and elm in the barn. Also have 2 face of white birch.lol i cant get enough! im a wood hoarder! cant wait to cut more!

I think its extra important to get that wood off the ground with the barn right there. 50% of the rain that lands on the barn will fall down and be at the base of the woodpile.

Wood is an organic product. You aren't getting around spores in any case. Burn it. Prions come off Deer bones, but guys aren't knocking each other over to throw out trophy mounts to prevent CWD. It's all been here forever. Wood is notorious for harboring mold.

Latest posts

Back