Why logged in rows?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This a small mountain side across from a track I ride at in Pa. in the background, grabbed the pic from their site. Why would they log in rows like this? 1964798_10201740647384580_2042163004_n.jpg

first thought would be erosion control, or perhaps thinning for future growth and their skidder only travels down hill for safety reasons(operator)....???? mud slides are a heck of a deal ! ask oso, Washington!

first thought would be erosion control, or perhaps thinning for future growth and their skidder only travels down hill for safety reasons(operator)....???? mud slides are a heck of a deal ! ask oso, Washington!

Are you a geologist now? Ask Oso? I've listened to the azzes trying to pin it on logging. Geologists all answer that it was a DEEP slide. Logging would only have a minute effect, if any. If you lived where there was real topography, you'd know that some areas just slide. We have slides in National Parks. We have slides in no motorized--ever wilderness areas. Your post is garbage.

That's something that should be avoided...skidding straight down when the ground is getting marginal (steep) for skidders. I'm speaking from the forester viewpoint. Sometimes you have to do it. Erosion--the culprit and not slides, can be mitigated by going back and building waterbars. That's standard procedure for skidder ground out here. Slash can be put in the skid trails. Sometimes seeding with grass is done, but that doesn't always come up.

There's a limit to what skidders can sidehill on. How steep they can work on depends on the operator's skill and comfort level. The guideline taught to me was 35% slope.
However, I've had a sale where there was a steep pitch planned for skidders. I conferred with the loggers, and there was an old guy who said he could do it, and he did.
Waterbars were placed in the trails, as required.

Waterbars are best built using a cat with a movable blade. I have only run into a couple of operators who could build working waterbars with a skidder.

We'd call that a hill out here...:)

OH MY!! TESTY TODAY? need more sleep or more padding for the monthly problem? lol no ! I am not a geologist today or any other day ! just a simple comment of erosion and mud slides... logging is an art that you should be aware of that uses many aspects of control! you should really try it some time...lol

relax. the natural tragedy that happened at Oso is a sad and testy subject in the nw. even whispering that it was caused by logging will get some hackels up. to the original question, it looks like they were doing some thinning and just yarded it up or down the slope.

OH MY!! TESTY TODAY? need more sleep or more padding for the monthly problem? lol no ! I am not a geologist today or any other day ! just a simple comment of erosion and mud slides... logging is an art that you should be aware of that uses many aspects of control! you should really try it some time...lol

Nope. I think we all are sensitive about jerks making uninformed remarks about a serious matter. Maybe you should think before you type insensitive remarks like the garbage above. The number 99 comes to mind when I read your posts.

I've never seen a harvest pattern like that. The OP's photo isn't very good and I'd like to see more before I tried to figure it out. Maybe as time goes on he can take more pictures?
Was it logging or just land clearing? People get the two terms confused.
Whatever it was it looks unfinished and it might be interesting to see what they do next.
One thing for sure, skidding straight up or straight down isn't a good practice unless you plan on doing a huge amount of remediation afterward. Maybe PA has different laws about erosion control

And Chucker...? How long would you keep a skidder operator who could only run straight up or down?

This a small mountain side across from a track I ride at in Pa. in the background, grabbed the pic from their site. Why would they log in rows like this? View attachment 346814

If you look at the ridge line, you'll notice that the timber is evenly thinned. So having not been there I would have to assume that what your are seeing are in face skid trails, filled in with brush that has turned brown.

And for chucker, Oso is incredibly close to home here, infact I drive through there to get to my parents house, and most of my friends are more or less unemployed now because of that slide. Some of them are dead.

You wanna start blaming logging there are about 5000 people that live in Darrington, Oso, and Arlington that will prove you wrong. A 7 acre thinning 10 years old would have done little to aid or desist that slide, not to mention it was more then the 300' from the river, as per DNR guidelines. The last time it was clear cut was in the late 80's, before I moved out there in 89.

If you want to know what really happend, the river changed course, like it always does, and ran right into a hill side made of gravel, sand, and light clay. Thereby eating away at the foot of a mountain until the mountain collapsed. This is not the first time this has happened in Darrington, in fact, its part of life out here. IF you pay attention to the news, you'll hear that the very same hill side slide in 2006, and 1967, in more or less the same place, the only difference it that in 1967 no one lived there, and in in 2006 it was 1/2 a mile farther down stream, and only flooded the neighborhood.

There are several other places within a 2 mile radius of the recent slide that have all had major slides in the last 20 years, which is why its taking so damn long to open the hwy up again, There really is no other safe way around.

?? ok so where did I say the mud slide was caused by logging? not!! just stated mud slides how ever they happen are not good! did not blame the slide on loggers lack of erosion control! and yes! I feel sorrow for the loss of life to you and your friends as well!! for skidding it all depends on the operators experience for sure... as far as being a jerk, probably no more than most others that just posted without reading something into the plain question the op asked with my answer ! rude is not my opening demeanor!

Ok cool you guys ever figure out how to get that steam donkey out
yes think we got it figured . now to let it dry out a little and we will be good to go. will let ya know when it go's down. hell prob put you to work. ;)

?? ok so where did I say the mud slide was caused by logging? not!! just stated mud slides how ever they happen are not good! did not blame the slide on loggers lack of erosion control! and yes! I feel sorrow for the loss of life to you and your friends as well!! for skidding it all depends on the operators experience for sure... as far as being a jerk, probably no more than most others that just posted without reading something into the plain question the op asked with my answer ! rude is not my opening demeanor!
like i said , it's a sensitive subject. even having slide and logging in the same sentence is and can be touchy.

yes think we got it figured . now to let it dry out a little and we will be good to go. will let ya know when it go's down. hell prob put you to work. ;)

If you put him to work and it comes down to a choice between paying him wages or him working for food...pay him wages. You ever see that guy eat?

Back