Why logged in rows?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well yap latter , if i don't get out of this recliner won't get any thing done. at least it's not raining right now. " prob should not have said the later" .;)

I read a bit awhile back on a similar thin. Seems that a district forester had an idea about limiting disturbance or somesuch and had marked a sale that way to see what would happen. The results? Not much. It's expensive to do it that way, and soil compaction makes it harder to establish regen. My guess is that the cut pictured in the OP is a similar experiment.

This a small mountain side across from a track I ride at in Pa. in the background, grabbed the pic from their site. Why would they log in rows like this? View attachment 346814

Strip Cutting/Thinning.
Ground is too steep for side hill operations.

If it was a CTL operation the open areas are filled with crushed brash/slashings as Northmanlogging pointed out to stop erosion.

After the regrowth gets going in the cut strips they will most likely come back and harvest the rest in a few years.

YMMV

That hill goes down behind the trees about as far as it goes up in the pic. Those are standing trees in the rows and not brush piles. I should be out there again in the next couple weeks, I'll try to remember to bring my good camera and see if I can get a better pic zoomed in. Not sure but it looks like they're done doin' whatever they were doin' over there!

looks like a standard first thinning to me. they plant in rows and thin every other or every two rows and evry other tree in the leave rows or something along those lines.
even I got up in arms the first time I heard logging as a cause of that trajedy. uninformed public always blames what they don't understand. I still think its funny how they mess with us over erosion here......its flat!?!

If I came of a little rough, I've been arguing with morons since the day the slide happened, losing my patience... the county has already called a moratorium on building in slide prone areas. Which means no building anywhere in Snohomish county east of I-5, and then only east of hwy 99, in other words a 1 mile strip that is full of houses and strip malls already.

I've seen similar style logging done on a mountain side in Maine. Rows about 50 yards wide were clear cut going up. Between the rows they did selective cutting. I had asked the guy I was with why they had done it but he wasn't sure.

Really can't tell much from the pic, and it doesn't look like a typical row thinning, but that's most likely what it is. Row thinning is a fairly common practice where mechanized harvesters are used. The machines are much more efficient operating in rows as opposed to in traditional marked thinnings.
Like someone said earlier, it could be an experiment, or maybe an inexperienced forester or equipment operator. Too hard to tell without seeing it up close.

Latest posts

Back