WildThing owners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dosen't the WildThing use those stupid serrated screw heads that you need the special tool for? Can you take those off like a normal limiter cap?

and 04Ultra, I still see fresh paint on your Wildthing bar, it couldn't have been used that much.

You can take the screws out, file the pointed ends flat and cut a slot on the end of the screw for a screwdriver.

Problem with that is theres nothing around the hole in the cover to guide the screwdriver to the screw, making it really hard to adjust while its running. At least thats the way I found it on most of the other small Poulans and I'm figureing the Wild Things the same.

The proper tool makes it simple, well worth the small investment.

dosen't the WildThing use those stupid serrated screw heads that you need the special tool for? Can you take those off like a normal limiter cap?

and 04Ultra, I still see fresh paint on your Wildthing bar, it couldn't have been used that much.

Marco gave me the Poulan tool for carb adjustments.......Dont use it much...Not many Poulans on my shelf.......

I removed the caps off my Echo CS-345 and pulled the screws out only to find there were no springs holding them in place! Are the plastic caps supposed to hold tension on the screws to keep them from vibrating around? I did notice the threads on them are a bit stickier than normal threads, almost like pipe thread. I have not been able to get that saw running properly since I messed with the limiter caps.

iv had one for a long time now. use it as a beater saw for those that need to borrow a saw or wanna cut with me. it never sees any maint. EVER. never has failed me. always starts runs great keep rpms up and itll cut anything. almost hate to admit it but it has been a great saw. it get abused like a redheaded step child that just broke a window and keeps coming back for more

A friend of mine found a wild thing on the side of the highway,:jawdrop: Probably fell out of the back of a truck hauling wood. It looked brand new. He has been useing for limbing for about a year now. Not a bad saw, low on power, but for small stuff it's okay. He could'nt beat the price.:cheers:

I think part of Poulan's bad rap is their saws are marketed to DIY-homeowners who have zero experience with operating and maintaining saws properly. Thats kind of why I waht to get one of these saws to see how bad it really is. A lack of quality control in the manufacturing process combined with an inexperienced operator who has no clue how to do something like adjust a carb has somewhat destroyed their reputation.

That said, to the WildThing's credit, the quality is about the same as the crappy 100 series Huskys and are a whole lot less money.

I think part of Poulan's bad rap is their saws are marketed to DIY-homeowners who have zero experience with operating and maintaining saws properly. Thats kind of why I waht to get one of these saws to see how bad it really is. A lack of quality control in the manufacturing process combined with an inexperienced operator who has no clue how to do something like adjust a carb has somewhat destroyed their reputation.

That said, to the WildThing's credit, the quality is about the same as the crappy 100 series Huskys and are a whole lot less money.
I bought a sears craftsman 42cc with an 18 inch bar a couple years ago, Got it really cheap price. Thought i was going to use it for small stuff, Instead i spent more time working on the thing. it won't start when it's hot, The choke knob is a joke and i have replaced the cheap made anti vibrate springs on it twice. The saw really hasn't seen a lot of wood cause when i go to the woods i need to be sawing not working on one. I don't even know what model it is, It's a poulan. I have owned a few old poulans years ago that were good saws.The new ones are junk. You kinda get what you pay for these days.

ike I had said, the 100 series Huskys suck too, so if you're going to go third class you might as well go all out and save a few bucks in the process. Think of it as the few dollars you save is savings towards a good saw like a 346xp.

the older green, and older wildthings, wernt to bad for the money. the newer ones are so chocked down with EPA BS that they wont hardley run.the weakest part on them is the cheep plastic oil pumps, leave full of bar oil set outside in cold all night, start, revup good by oil pump, i replase about 6 or 8 a year for customers.

The same with the oil pump in my cheapie Eager Beaver electric, it doesn't work worth a crap in the cold. I try to keep my saws inside where its warm in the winter, just so the bar oil doesn't turn into pudding. And the cheap plastic parts don't get so brittle either.

My dad had a limb fall off a tree on his property a couple years ago. For some reason he bought a Wild Thing instead of calling me. He only managed to cut up half that limb before the Wild Thing's clutch gave out. I know he is used to the old Homelites, so maybe he was digging the dawgs in, but that's very short life for a clutch. For some reason I haven't felt any urge whatsoever to own a Wild Thing. I'll have another beer and sleep on the idea, I doubt I'll change my mind though...
Dok

if i know ill be cutting that day the saws go in the truck with me. turn heat up and bake a few mins but it warms the saws. ha guess they kinda get babied

My dad has a wildthing and it is not a terrible saw. I replaced the skip safety chain with .325 and went from an 18"bar down to 16" tuned it up and for the two times a year he uses it it's fine. It is cheaply made and does not have a screaming engine but works well for the price.

Don't let these deranged, careless Stihl spenders talk you into thinking the Wild Thing isn't one of the best saws made. It will run right along the consumer model Stihls (about 3/4 of them), but the Stihl folks can't admit this to themselves because they have to justify all that extra coin they threw down the crapper.

A saw does two things--makes noise and cuts wood.

Now, a Poulan will make noise and cut wood for $100, or one MN&CW.

A Stihl will make noise and cut wood for $500, or five MN&CW's.

So, as you can see, the ratio is 5:1 in favor of Poulan when compared with Stihl. :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back