Will a ported 034 run with a stock 044?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of porting my yard sale 034AV. I've got very little money in the saw and I guess if I screw up, I can buy an 036 p&c to fix my boo boo. Wondering what kind of gains I can get and just how well it responds to porting.

Also, how does a "woods port" differ from a intake/exhaust port job?

I've been kicking around the idea of porting my yard sale 034AV. I've got very little money in the saw and I guess if I screw up, I can buy an 036 p&c to fix my boo boo. Wondering what kind of gains I can get and just how well it responds to porting.

Also, how does a "woods port" differ from a intake/exhaust port job?

I'd think so in small wood. I've run a ported 361 that would beat a stock 440 in small stuff pretty handily.

No... you're talkin 56cc's vs. 70cc's. The 044 will outrun that thing even when ported... Even with an 036 (60cc's) jug I don't thin it will do it.

Gary

Last edited:
Not sure how the match-up would go, but putting a ported 036 cylinder on a 034 case, makes for a light and powerful saw, with mucho grunt.

Other then slight muffler mods I haven't done any thing like that with a chainsaw but back in my motorcycle days I had a 175 cc motorcycle ported and it would run away from 250 cc 's with little problem. It was only so so as a stock 175 against another 175.

Well if its of any help have a woods ported 036 that also has a lightened & interior polished piston w extensive muffler mod in addition to the pop off pressure set at 19 psi that incresaes available fuel across the band. After all that I only consider it as a limbing saw. Not a small limbing saw but still a small caliber saw. It wears a 16" es bar. Even though it is set at 13,400 rpm it doesnt compete with an old re ringed 044 a friend has or my 440.. The extra displacement in addition to the extra 1000 max rpm set on the 44 makes it a hands down winner every time.

Well if its of any help have a woods ported 036 that also has a lightened & interior polished piston w extensive muffler mod in addition to the pop off pressure set at 19 psi that incresaes available fuel across the band. After all that I only consider it as a limbing saw. Not a small limbing saw but still a small caliber saw. It wears a 16" es bar. Even though it is set at 13,400 rpm it doesnt compete with an old re ringed 044 a friend has or my 440.. The extra displacement in addition to the extra 1000 max rpm set on the 44 makes it a hands down winner every time.

Anyone ever tell you your standards are too high?? :laugh:

It's good to have high standards, but in my case, the modified 036 nicely handles trees up to 20", the length of the bar, then I jump up to the Husky for anything larger .

Raising the compression on the 036, along with porting and piston work, muffler, gave another 1000rpm, and bad azz torque. I wonder what the weight difference is between the saw and an 044? The 034/036 os lighter than my 028. I sometimes am packing the saw all day long, that might make it preferable over the more powerful(?) 044.

Last edited:

I can't imagine a woods ported 036 only turning 13,400. I would expect more in the 15K range. Nearly every port job I've done has netted me an additional 1,500-2,000 RPMs. And that was without raising the exhaust port.

I agree, my woods ported MS360 Pro will hold its own with any stock 70cc saw with a 20" bar! It runs around 14,800 out of wood and still 4 strokes a little!

Ported 034 won't have the torque of a stock 044, It's a little short on stroke compared to 044 and is giving up about 26% on displacement.

In smaller wood though That 26% shortfall in displacement can be more than made up for with good porting and higher RPM in the cut.

I agree with Timberwolf, small stuff only, anything much over 16-18" across and its hard to beat displacement, and the 044/440 saws have good torque!

This is my MS360 in hard 10"x10" Poplar, the chain is just round filed by me and had cut a cord of firewood that morning, it was still pretty sharp but could have been sharper! But I am always pleased with this light, powerful combination!

Last edited:
You can say what you want but in my book a 60 cc saw is a limbing saw. Oh sure you can run a 7 pin rim sprocket 25" bar w skip & get it done but without much authorty. In soft wood it's probably not that big of a deal . I typically cut my firewood at 21 or 22" which means a 25" bar is required for making ripping cuts. This combination is lack luster & slow, just to much for the 036 when getting into coastal oak , euc, maple, elm or simular hardwoods. My MS 440 typically wears a 20" cannon bar & pick up the 066 w 25" bar when making the long ripping cuts. Power hungry yes but once you have a chance to run the set up you'll never go back. :chainsaw:

My 361 cuts right on the heels of my ported 460 in this hard Elm. It's going to take significantly bigger wood than this for the 460 to shine.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQaVIys23WE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQaVIys23WE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back