Will a ported 034 run with a stock 044?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been kicking around the idea of porting my yard sale 034AV. I've got very little money in the saw and I guess if I screw up, I can buy an 036 p&c to fix my boo boo. Wondering what kind of gains I can get and just how well it responds to porting.

Also, how does a "woods port" differ from a intake/exhaust port job?

One thing to keep in mind as time goes on is the 044 440 460 is soon to become a rare bird. Design changes are in the pipe with the EPA's mandated 2010 rollout on emissions standards . Just look at what happened when there got to be a limited supply of 372xp & xpw. So if you think you want one at leist locate some kind of basket case that needs a top end. Or better yet a dead 066 ,660. LOL:chainsaw:

I think that you have to qualify what is a "limbing saw". A 090 could be a limbing saw if you only have one tree to dis-assemble. If you are doing it all day long, weight becomes a factor. Saying that a 60cc saw is basically a limbing saw, although it may apply to you and big limbs, most folks seem to prefer a lighter weight saw. Not saying that you're wrong or anything, but just generally speaking.

Put a 034 Super or a 036 P/C on it. That is my favorite firewood saw. If I could only keep one, that would be it.

I did put an 028 Super piston in an 034 (both 46mm) The 028 piston is smaller and lighter. The 028 piston is a pop-up, the squish is rather large though. I left the base gasket out and compression was good. That sucker really SCREAMED, until I cracked the skirt! That thing was turnin some major RPM. Might give that a try if you have an 028S piston and rings around. It ran like a monster, until I broke it.

Last edited:
The stuff I run into is really huge & unless you have a long bar 32 -36" with a saw thats big on power theres no way of getting it. Once its been bucked the 440 w/25" can handle it. 90% of the time I dont even bother putting the 036 in the truck because I know that when I get there it will get beaten up with rounds that are way out of its league. In looking over the lineup of saws our friend has there it doesnt appear that he is in need of another limbing saw . Most pro saw builders prefer a brand new saw to mod anyway. I'm all for increasing the power to weight ratio with whatever you bring to the party but sometimes its nice to be able to just pull out the big gun & finish the sucker off . Mainly because :cheers: waiting in the fridge & we need to get going.

When you say, "Beaten up with rounds", I guess that you are talking about bucking up the tree now, so I agree that a larger saw than for just cutting limbs is required. If you are doing both bucking and limbing at the same time, than I'm the same as you, I generally use the bigger saw for the whole nine yards.

I thought the discussion was about a limbing saw, which I think of for removing limbs, not so much bucking, when the tree is large diameter, but obviously there is overlap. When you mention bucking too, it often makes for different requirements, depending on the situation.

Anyway, not to quibble over fine points, obviously you describe what works for you. Big wood has it's own special requirements, so I can see how a larger saw becomes your limbing saw, but once you move out of big wood territory, I have to go with my original thinking, that upwards of 60cc, isn't generally your basic limbing saw for the average Joe working with average size trees....unless he's in it mainly for the exercise.

Last edited:
Finally found a resizer that I can at leist make work . Anyway as you can see this is typically what I run into . Thats a 660 w 36" bar.

Back