Will file for beer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made one with 2 pieces of 1/4" metal and two bolts in the bottom with washers as spacers and 4 bolts in the top. It wasn't that quick to tighten and move the chain. If your vise will swivel 180° you can file 7 teeth at a time in a 1' section if I remember right. I'm going to make another one a little different sometime. I used this one to make a case splitter for a 390 project I did back in the summer. A bar with a pair of vise grips holding the chain tight on the end of the bar slot works pretty good.

It won't get all your cutters to the same length, like a grinder will, though.

The Granberg will keep cutters at the same length. There is an adjustment for that. Its range is only good for certain sizes of chain though. I like the Granberg a lot. The only problem with it is that it needs replaceable bushings. I keep mine lubed with antiseize to minimize wear and maximize mess.

A real Woodchuck will sharpen your chainsaw for beer.
Name that reference.
I dunno. I ain't a real Woodchuck. Been here 17 years. They say I can't be a Woodchuck 'cuz I'm from MA.

The Granberg will keep cutters at the same length. There is an adjustment for that.
When you swing it towards the cutter it has a stop ? I hadn't noticed. That would work. I'll have to check that out.

I keep mine lubed with antiseize to minimize wear and maximize mess.
That stuff spreads everywhere once you get a little on you.

:can:
The chains on the saws at the local campground/store looked horrible.
I got a Granberg jig the other day and I brought it there and showed him how it worked and he could see how far off his cutters were (wrong file sizes, heights, angles, etc,). I told him I'll file a chain for a beer.
I sat at a table by the wood stove with the old juke box playing and brought 3 chains back to spec. Beats watching TV, imho. :glasses-cool:

Brian, don't you live in Bethel? Nice quaint town. Pass thru there on my way to Brandon from 89.

Bob

Brian, don't you live in Bethel? Nice quaint town. Pass thru there on my way to Brandon from 89.

Bob
Nope. I work in Rutland and live just South of there.
I do have friends in Bethel and Brandon.

I just ordered an Oregon, hope to crack a few cold ones and learn how to file . I cut a lot of river wood so it doesn't take long to kill a chain. Worse comes to worse buy another couple loops of RSC.

Any tips???

Latest posts

Back