Will it still make good firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale.Z

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This red oak was decaying; it was only on the ground for a week before I got to it.
Is it still good for firewood once split?
Looks to me to have a lot of good wood left but what do I know, wasn’t till six months ago I didn’t even know what a red oak looked like.

Thanks

I burned way punkier red oak than that without issue. I'm talking more fungous than bark :dizzy: I just couldn't let those old decaying tops go to waste. LOL

Yes there is rot, it is the yellow/orange inch or so on the outside ring of the rounds, the vast majority of the round is still classic solid red oak (reddish pink) and obviously still hard and good to burn.

Bring it to me and I'll run some tests on it. I should have the results on it for you about mid May.

:hmm3grin2orange:OH HECK YEAH!!!!

After a bit of drying time, the punky outside gives a bit of "Woof" to get the good stuff in the middle going.

PERFECT for kicking things off in the mornings...
"Morning Wood":hmm3grin2orange:

No wait. Did I say that.:jawdrop:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You may be able to burn it right away when it is split. When you split it, if water squeezes out, it needs to dry. If the wood has a wet look, it needs to dry. If it feels too heavy for its size, it needs to dry. You can always throw a piece in the stove and see it it hisses or steams. If it doesn't hiss, its good now.

I've burned much punkier wood than that. I figure an inch or two of punky wood (stuff you can flake off) surrounding solid oak just gets the fire going quicker.

:rock:Nothing like the sweet smell of a fresh cut oak, and the warmth you get in the winter. (Hickory is a prize find around here, but oak is great & plentiful).

:agree2:
Once split and stacked off the ground & six months. That'll burn you good, nice hot embers. Outer bark and punk great for kindling.

Nice score :clap::cheers::blob2:

This red oak was decaying; it was only on the ground for a week before I got to it.
Is it still good for firewood once split?
Looks to me to have a lot of good wood left but what do I know, wasn’t till six months ago I didn’t even know what a red oak looked like.

Thanks

It was probably good enough to mill. lol

Back