?????? (will this work) ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapped finger

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Why not use the whole coil? The fins will keep the copper from corroding from the dislike metal. Better heat absorption.

How big is the garage? I would guess that it will not work unless your garage is tiny and superinsulated (not enough capacity)

Put the pump in the return line, close to the stove (the water will be coolest at that point). You can't move the water too fast due to the size of the heat coil. You'd probably have better efficiency taking hot air off the ceiling above the stove and dumping it on the far side of the garage near the floor.

I have a radiater out of a 98 ranger, would that work better? where should i place the coil at on the wood stove?

I have a radiater out of a 98 ranger, would that work better? where should i place the coil at on the wood stove?

Put a radiator on top of the stove, and maybe a smaller reservoir to get the most out of your idea, but I still think it wouldn't be enough. If you could put the reservoir in contact with the stove, then with the biggest radiator you can get your hands on you might have a chance.

The current coil on your stove is going to be your problem. It has a pretty small surface area, and won't pick up heat from the stove very fast. You're on the right track, but I'm thinking it's going to take some tweaking to make it efficient. You WILL need a pressure/temperature release valve (like on a water heater) in the hot side of the line. Don't give up. It's do-able.

Last edited:
The current coil on your stove is going to be your problem. It has a pretty small surface area, and won't pick up heat from the stove very fast. You're on the right track, but I'm thinking it's going to take some tweaking to make it efficient. You WILL need a pressure/temperature release valve (like on a water heater) in the hot side of the line. Don't give up. It's do-able.

It was a cold windy night and I'd just built a GOOD HOT FIRE, the warmth lulled me to sleep so I didn't notice when the power went out. I was rudely awakened to the sound of.................

It was a cold windy night and I'd just built a GOOD HOT FIRE, the warmth lulled me to sleep so I didn't notice when the power went out. I was rudely awakened to the sound of.................

A Cub LoBoy tractor that circulates water by convection, without a pump? ;o)

Renter in house across street blew up the basement. Put in an old cookstove with a water back and coils. He capped off the coils "for appearance" - seems a bit of water remained in the coil. Shrapnel marks everywhere but no penetration of the ceiling...luckily.

Harry K

Guy I know wrapped the two sides and top on his momma bear stove in his basement with 1/2" copper pipe. On the top he spread metal shavings from a machinist over the pipes and laid a sheet of 1/8" steel over the shavings. Heated his 20X20 or so garage very well. Cement floor has pex in it and pump and expansion tank are in the basement. It did take some heat away from the house. The stove sits in the middle of the basement and heats the whole house. About 1300 sq. ft.

I have about 50' of 1/2" copper pipe wrapped around the back and two sides of my stove with pex through the basement floor. The water is on a repeat cycle timer, the water would not heat enough to do any good when it ran all the time. Don't think it would heat a garage but keeps the basement floor warm.

Latest posts

Back