Willow tree butchered?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klawright

Reaction score
Hello - we recently rented a house in San Diego. We are recent transplants from Seattle and missed the trees and greenery the the NW terribly. Finally, we found an urban home with a big willow tree in the back that blocked out the neighbors, the alley and street behind and the sun!

Unfortunately, we drove by today (we move in in 10 days) and found the beautiful thick willow tree (the selling point for us) completey butchered. We knew it was supposed to be "triimed", but this is ridiculous. I have been reading that willows grow back fast, but how fast? Are we talking months? We are heading into the hot season here, will that hinder or help the situation. We are devistated, our privacy and shade are gone. How long before we can stop crying and have it back?

See before and after.

Thank you.

Judging from the pictures it looks like they removed well over 50% of the crown. That is bad, but the tree can recover. If you are really concerned about it's health you can put a ring of composted mulch under the canopy of the tree 3 or so inches thick and water it throughout the summer making sure the ground dries out in between waterings. Willows do grow fast, so it could be back in 2 or 3 years. Don't know if that is much consolation since you are renting.

that's a real bad job. I'd look into holding up the sale, getting some $ off the price for future restoration pruning and care or having the tree removed and new ones planted (on the current owner's dime).
I cleaned up a co-dominant weeping willow that lost one lead last year into the neighbor's yard. all aspects of the tree considered, it was the topping done 10 years prior that started the chain of events that lead to the tree failing.

Last edited:
Hello - we recently rented a house in San Diego. We are recent transplants from Seattle and missed the trees and greenery the the NW terribly. Finally, we found an urban home with a big willow tree in the back that blocked out the neighbors, the alley and street behind and the sun!

Unfortunately, we drove by today (we move in in 10 days) and found the beautiful thick willow tree (the selling point for us) completey butchered. We knew it was supposed to be "triimed", but this is ridiculous. I have been reading that willows grow back fast, but how fast? Are we talking months? We are heading into the hot season here, will that hinder or help the situation. We are devistated, our privacy and shade are gone. How long before we can stop crying and have it back?

See before and after.
thank you [quote That is just wrong. I am not a pro yet but I decided when I become one I want to do tree work right. even if I trimmed that tree I wouldn't do something like that.I already took the time to read several books and learned how to prune trees to the branch collars not to top and if avoidable don't head back limbs.just my 2 cents

That brings back memories:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33429

That was my willow last year. I've attached a picture of it this year. I have an arborist coming out today to look at it and decide what we should do next. The way ours was butchered has definitely created some problems, but I don't think you're going to have the same problems because it wasn't topped the same way ours was.

I actually intended ours to be pruned somewhat the way yours has been, though not so drastically. We had many crossing branches which were rubbing together and killing each other, and many heavy dead limbs that were dropping branches and I was afraid eventually they would fall on our kids. Willows tend to get a lot of dead wood and (from my experience only-- no expert!) some of it needs to be cleaned out. You may not have realized how much of that fullness may have been dead wood or crossing branches, although I can't imagine THAT much of it was dead or crossed branches.

Again, speaking from my experience and not as an expert, it will definitely fill in, and even by summer's end it will look somewhat better. Beyond that, I don't have enough expertise to advise you. In our case, we are going to have to do a lot more maintenance on the tree now to keep it alive because they crowned it. But it does look better this year, though not nearly as round and beautiful a crown as it once had.

Last edited:
That is a terrible job! If you were buying the house I would sue the person who trimemd it but since you are just renting I doubt there is anything that can be done. best senerio: the tree MAY live. Time will tell. I can think of nothing that would be worth the time and effort to help correct that tree since it is just a rental.

my apologizes, I missed the part were you were renting. I thought you were buying.
The property is still not in the same shape it was when you agreed to rent it. I would think (with a lawyer perhaps) you could either get out of the agreement or argue for a reduced monthly rent

Actually a CA Pepper Tree

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have just discovered that this is actually a California Pepper Tree. How does that change things? It was really the privacy and shade we were excited about. I've been told Pepper trees grow like weeds around here, but how quickly will the leaves and canopy fill in?

Thanks again!!

holy cow that is some kind of "pruning" there. How long do you plan on renting the place? If it is a year or longer I would say to put some mulch around the base, making sure it has a diameter going out to the edge of the foliage. Also, watering is never a bad thing just don't water too much and mornings are the best time. Also, if it were me I would have a word with the land lord to try and reduce the price a little due to the drastic change in looks and privacy from when you signed the agreement. Lastly, it may not be bad to suggest to the land lord that a different tree company be used in the future as this one sure isn't too good. JMHO.

Don 't worry, be happy! It's a Willow and very hardy. In a couple of months it should fill back out. I think willows enjoy these challenges.

It is a CA pepper tree, not a willow. The certainly do grow fast but don't expect it to fill back in as fast as it would were it a willow. CA peppers grow vigorously from the tips but don't bud off the banches as readily as willows do. All you can do now is water and wait. The shame!

Latest posts

Back