willow tree care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spraggins98

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a willow in my front yard...I don't know what type. Long story short, a dog we kept dug a few of the roots and now I am worried that it will not survive. Can anyone help?

Welcome to the AS. I wouldn't worry a bit. For peace of mind some mulch would be the way to do it right. What is the diameter of the trunk. If the tree has some years to it there is no digging a dog could do to do it wrong. Might even be a way to get some water and nutrients to help it out.

Willow help

I am not sure what the diameter is but I am attaching pictures of it and the biggest hole. Thank you for your reply.

thank you

Thank you, you have put my mind at ease. I love that tree. The temp here ranges from 30 degrees at night to 75 degrees during the day. Would it hurt it if I watered it during this time of year. By watering it I mean soaking the soil.

You're right; water demands in winter are not so high. put the dirt back in the hole and fence fido away. The dog did not dig roots so the tree is not badly damaged.

You can't over-water a Willow. You can use the grass as a gage, if it's green the tree is ok, if grass is struggling, water.
A tree that young can be fertilized to get it growing. Double the lawn fertilizer rate for a couple years, but stand back so the new growth doesn't knock you over.

nice looking willow

She'll be big and strong someday. It is smaller than I imagined but looks well established none the less. Water lightly. Maybe a small fence will give you peace of mind also. Something to keep the lawnmower from hitting it.

Willow help

treeseer posted roots were not dug up so the tree should be fine...there were a couple of roots dug up. They were about 1" in diameter. Should I worry?

treeseer posted roots were not dug up so the tree should be fine...there were a couple of roots dug up. They were about 1" in diameter. Should I worry?

Spragg, the misconception about roots is that they feed the tree. They do but not that much. They're kind of a reservoir for the tree. They are more the stability of the tree. If you think the dog compromised the tree's ability to stand up then stake it. If not do as treeseer said and fill the holes in with dirt and try and stop the dog or anybody else from getting to the tree and you are good to go.

Pardon?

Spragg, the misconception about roots is that they feed the tree. They do but not that much. They're kind of a reservoir for the tree. They are more the stability of the tree. If you think the dog compromised the tree's ability to stand up then stake it. If not do as treeseer said and fill the holes in with dirt and try and stop the dog or anybody else from getting to the tree and you are good to go.

Sorry, maybe its lost in translation but I don't quite understand the advice you are giving here, it doesnt seem quite right, does anyone else see something wrong with the statement?

???

I thought that without good, stable roots, the tree (no matter what type) would not survive? Am I wrong???

Tree survival after loosing roots, or branches, is dependent on several factors. Most important are the age, health of the tree, species of tree, and the size of the injury.
When a tree spade digs out a naturally growing tree, studies have shown more than 90% of the trees roots can be cut off and the tree can still survive.
It's interesting to look at trees a few years after a lot is cleared for a new home, something I get to do a lot of, as new homes go up in wooded lots in my area. You see four inch diameter trees cut off at the ground, send up new growth and turn back into a tree. Then you'll see mature trees of a sensitive species, 50 feet away from any construction, slowly die back from the top until completely dead.
Your young, healthy Willow will take a lot of abuse. In a few more years, you'd have a hard time killing it if you wanted to, without poison or a stump grinder.

Adrpk correctly makes the point that roots don't feed trees, leaves make food. Roots give stability and gather water and nutrients, but it's the sugars made by leaves that is the tree's food.
The tree stores food in all the living parts of the tree, so it can regenerate cut roots, even in the winter when leaves have fallen. Roots grow anytime the ground is above freezing.
As a tree matures, it is able to store less food, compared to its size in total biomass. Hence it is much more sensitive to injury. In addition, potential decay from injury is much greater.
But I digress...

The Readers Digest condensed version of roots would be that they absorb water and nutrients and move them to the leaves then the leaves change to simple carbos that are moved to the roots that change from simple to complex carbs that are the food for the tree.

Latest posts

Back